No/low connections through router but network ok

theskywasgreen

I have just forwarded the ports correctly for my router which is a Thomson 510 V6. I typed in the port I chose which was 50000 into Utorrent, and checked the port was opened and it said it was ok. My downloads started to download VERY slowly at about 7kbs. And have now slowed to nothing. Occasionally it downloads for a few seconds at about 0.1kbs. I tried downloading the open office program torrent to test the speeds and even that is going at 1kbs. I have a 2MB connection on tiscali, and I am using Vista. A few weeks ago I tried using Azureus cause the ports were giving me problems, and it downloaded fine but said there was a NAT problem, it then stopped downloading, and i figured it was because I still hadn't forwarded my ports correctly. So I worked out how to forward them, expecting everything to be sorted. But the downloads still didn't start! I thought maybe Azureus was just being weird, so came back to Utorrent, but it's doing the same thing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tiscali is filesharing hostile. And they overload their lines.

Is this a new problem? Are you a new bittorrent user? Were these settings working before?

Just to verify, you have used a speed tester and seen 256 KiBps down? The primary measurement bittorrent needs though is your upload, so checking that, putting it into Ctrl-G and testing again is a good first step.

Yeah i've been using torrent programs for numerous years. And I have ran the speed test and it shows everything to be fine!! I don't know if this is anything important but you know how it is supposed to show a blue down arrow to show it is downloading? Well mine is a red arrow the same as the blue one to indicate downloading. What does that mean? It has only been since I got my speedtouch router that it hasnt worked properly. before that I had a thomson USB modem and everything was fine.

Hmm well red torrent icons so as stated it's not necessarily proof there is a problem. But you still haven't said the numbers for your speed test. A speedtest will give you both download and upload speeds in Kibps. µTorren'ts Speed Guide (Ctrl-G) will use that in the dropdown to turn it into KiBps which is the throughput you see. You should set that to be close and not go over your speedtested line speed. From there it requires tuning to the specific niceties of your ISP. It is possible you can schedule uT to work differently based upon time/day requirements (reported online or from specific user comments) or that you will need to keep your upload sufficiently low to keep automated processes from resetting your internet connection.

Depending upon the error under tracker status, YES.

176, so you're running XX/128 then? 783 kbit means you're running max 96KiBps down.

If they say timeout, it's possible all of the connections upon startup/add are too much and it times out when trying to do everything at once. It should resolve itself later. If it does not resolve itself and you do not get peers from tracker announces/scrapes your ISP could be keeping you from contacting trackers.

right, so i've got new info. Just as I dropped you that message this morning, I thought i'd try Utorrent again...And I had 3 things all downloading at 100KBS each. Thought everything was fixed. Came home again at around 5 o clock pm and its running at 0.1kbs again. Is this Tiscali stopping me from downloading? And would they really cut me down to so much? Thanks for your help so far!

Archived