two problems error and disk overload

noamericano

ok i have two problems with my utorrent that happened at the same time... it was a normal day and everything was downloading fine and suddenly this error popped up that said error the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process and wen i try playing it, it works for a couple of mins then errors again....

now second problem next to the nodes on the bottom it says disk overload 100% and i thought it was cause i needed space on my harddrive so i deleted some gb's and then it worked fine but then it came back and i dont know wut to do.also if i restart utorrent the disk overload goes away for about 10mins and then it happens again

also my download speed has now gone down after the disk overload 100% happens

i could reely use some help, so any would be appreciated.

btw im using utorrent 1.7.5 on windows vista. i also have peer guardian

Disk overload means the hard drive is having trouble keeping up with the write pace. 8 MiBps write speed uses ~ 800 MHz CPU.

This can happen when there is fragmentation and the hard drive is permanently in seek mode.

Try disabling options under Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> Disk Cache . Tune it to suit your needs. For instance I turned on cache writes, but disabled the lower two options.

You don't. Well, you can... but uT does not work well (read as: crash) with a set size over 1023 MiB. The funny thing about the Disk Cache pane is that it includes "increase cache size when thrashing" for reads, but not writes :/

Essentially the problem lies with how Windows' internal cacheing mechanism handles the bottleneck in writing.

@noamericano: Re. your first problem (files can't be accessed), turn off/uninstall any indexers (eg. Windows/Google Desktop Search, Nero's 'Scout' Indexing Service, Roxio's Indexing Service etc.) If you're not sure what you have, post a HijackThis! log here.

Re. your second problem (disk overload), maybe your drives have switched to PIO mode? See here (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=290042#p290042) and the post immediately below that for details.

Archived