uTorrent keeps shutting down ??

doonboggle

After a few minutes of d/l, uTorrent stops activity; in essence becoming inactive. If I try to reactivate, nothing is accomplished. But if I exit out, and then reboot the computer after a few minutes, it seems to function OK ... for the next few minutes, and then repeats. Any ideas? I'm not an expert at this so please keep it basic if you will. Thanks

OK, well the first question is, is uT using 100% CPU?

Next follows line of questioning related to how much RAM/CPU/hard disk activity uT is causing.

Additionally can you interact with the main GUI while this "freeze" happens?

IS this new behaviour or is it old? If it is new, have you added/changed any software recently?

Back to the freeze... when you have to reboot, does force closing uT solve the problem, instead of a hard reboot?

Do you know if you are running any anti-spy/ad/malware software.

IF you want to help move some of these questions along, noting uT process RAM and CPU usage (under Windows Task Manager) and running HiJackThis and pasting the log in a post below will be the first step :).

Thank you for your information.

Oh boy.... I'll try to respond as best I can. Please bear with me on the others as they are at the moment out of my league.

First, the only active program regarding virus is Avast. The only firewall is what is out there from my router. I have disengaged the built in Windows firewall.

This has recently started. The only new programs that I can recall, since I do not download that often, is a couple of programs having to do with digital picture clean-up; Gimp for one. Also Faststone Image Viewer. The other programs that are activated are Spybot, Avast of course and YPops, a utility that lets me Pop3 web mail from Yahoo. I've used these for some time now and have not had any problems to date.

When I reboot, I always wait until uTorrent's process, on the indicator, is at zero incoming. Then I wait for uTorrent to completely stop internally before clicking on Turn Off or Restart.

Regarding task manager and the other ABC's and references you used, I need some guidance. I am using XP Pro and am on WildBlue satellite connection.

Thanks for your assistance.

When I 'restart', or reboot, I am talking about total everything, computer included. Then I 'restart' uTorrent, and for the first few minutes, everything seems A-OK. Downloading and uploading. Then, while merrily rolling along, suddenly the green line, on the speed screen, begins to go down, and ultimately nothing is being downloaded. I have tried waiting for several minutes to see if it comes back on, but as touched on earlier, the only it 'seems' to come back on is when I shut everything down ... and restart everything, computer included.

Yes, if I shut down uTorrent, and then restart it without the reboot of the computer, it does come on OK, but still does not seem to want to download; and get a message in the bottom of the screen about Login or Waiting to Login, etc.. I try updating the tracker, but nothing seems to work until I go thru the total process outlined above.

I'll have to locate hijack to do the other suggestion first; but wanted to put this out for review; and I hope the other response made sense.

Thanks again

SUre thing, makes sense :D

It sounds like your ISP is being naughty. What I need to know is if you see the green status icon in the taskbar as referenced Network Status Icon.

Also if you wouldn't mind downloading Open Office ONLY and seeing if that freezes as well.

HiJack This is in the event you are not running a "clean" system. Many programs like to interfere with normal operation :(

I look forward to the post :D

Here's tHJT data..... It's all greek to me. I'll wait before doing the other suggestions you just sent. Thanks

EDIT: FORGOT..... I'VE NEVER REALLY HAD ANY GREEN ICON; BUT YET PORT FORWARDING IS OK AND THE CHECK ITEM WITHIN UTORRENT INDICATES DOWNOOADING OK ... AND HAVE GOTTEN STUFF BEFORE.....

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 7:22:54 PM, on 12/18/2007

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

C:\Program Files\YPOPs\YPOPs.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [spybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

O4 - Startup: YPOPs.lnk = ?

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -

res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} -

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program

Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program

Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O15 - Trusted Zone: email.emachines@emachines.com

O15 - Trusted Zone: www.familytreemaker.com

O16 - DPF: {05CA9FB0-3E3E-4B36-BF41-0E3A5CAA8CD8} (Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) -

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58813

O16 - DPF: {3DC2E31C-371A-4BD3-9A27-CDF57CE604CF} (MSN Money Charting) -

http://moneycentral.msn.com/cabs/pmupd806.exe

O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) -

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1197584611468

O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil

Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe

O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

--

End of file - 3728 bytes

Nothing that I can think of. As mentioned before, don't download that much; and last usage was likely about a month ago. In looking at my listing of installed programs, nothing is out of the ordinary that was not there before.

I did try Vista about 2-3 weeks ago; and quickly reverted back to XP Pro by doing a total reformat and reinstallation. Noticed this first thing today and decided to upgrade to the latest version of uTorrent by deleting version 1.6 and then installing 1.75 ... and get same results. Regarding Nero Scout, it is disabled via MSCONFIG startup settings.

OK, well that gives more light, but if that's nero scout, then what is this:

O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe

I'm sorry I can't help but I am still using the 4 year old 5.5 version line. It came with my burner and I don't need a 400 MB suite to burn DVDs :P

If there is nothing else you can think of, the surest way is to download a utility called Process Explorer (http://www.sysinternals.com) and then export (Ctrl-A) the list of DLLs (Ctrl-D)injected into utorrent's process and the list of Handles (Ctrl-H) utorrent has open.

You may need to show the lower pane after opening procexp.exe (Ctrl-L). Then switch between the two modes, and press Ctrl-A to save the list. You can paste it in a post here or upload it somewhere. The main goal here is to see what DLLs outside of Microsoft Corporation owned ones(Version and Company Name columns) are in. The Handles mode allows you to see exactly what is open within the uT process. If another program opens the same files (indexers, antivirus) then that would explain the main GUI thread hanging

Edited for spacing and clarity.

Archived