uTorrent Freezing Computer

CJM1682

says utorrent/1610 for created by

I have uninstalled 1.7.5 and installed 1.8 and when using that torrent it froze after 5 minutes. I am going to try another torrent i have found with the same 4.00MB piecesize and see if that also will freeze or not to maybe see if its something in the torrent creation.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good day to everyone!

need help!my operating system is windows vista home premium and while downloading files from utorrent,my pc hangs completely.i tried task manager with ctrl+alt+del to turn off utorrent but still it wouldn't work.

any help would be greatly appreciated,tnx and merry christmas!

where can i find the hashes from utorrent?

im a complete novice so tell me if im wrong but cant the hashes be limited and when they exeed the limit a freeze occur?

i know this happen to some programs when their logfiles gets too big and theres no code for overwriting or creating a new file.

@jouie: I guess you mean 1 GB...

What modem/router do you have? What're your actual connection speeds and uTorrent settings like? Have you changed any Advanced settings?

Try the things mentioned in this thread (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=258231#p258231) first.

You can also try the processor affinity solution (i.e. set uTorrent to use only a single core.) Dunno about Vista, but if it's like XP, the way to do it is Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) / Processes tab / Right click on uTorrent.exe / Set Affinity. Try both cores one by one 'cos sometimes it may work with one but not the other.

If nothing helps, post a HijackThis! log here.

sorry that i havent replied in a while i was a away for the holidays and will be getting back home in 2 days so i have not been able to update or change any status on my system with these problems i have decided to get a new PSU with more wattage in thoughts that my PSU just didnt have enough juice for the system i was running. I will put that in when i get home in a couple of days. Again i appreciate all the attention this post is getting and the assistance going towards a resolution.

im finding if I dont limit up myloads to less than 100% of max, then utorrent will freeze up my OS sto the point where there is no internet connectivity, and my nic will refuse to respond, and the OS will constantly give a message of resource allocation problem.

Limit it to 80% or so and it'll live longer.

Does uT use some code that drives Internet Explorer by any chance?

AFAIK, nope.

A lot of the networking hardware out there just cannot handle the massive number of connections made by uTorrent and just hang as a result. USB/wireless devices, bad drivers/firmware, other failing hardware, external drives, malware etc. can all contribute to the issue and further complicate matters.

Uploads anyway should be capped and not left at Unlimited if you want your net connection to be (reasonably) responsive while uTorrent's going about its job. Also, protocol/connection overheads have to be taken into account while defining your connection settings, as the speeds promised by your ISP, even if you get them, are just theoretical maximums.

BTW, have you patched your Tcpip.sys?

i'll have to write down the message next time it happens. Shouldnt be too long.. It's winxp 32bit.

Edit: ok just had another crash. It wasnt the message you were looking for but was the following:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." when I click on pretty well any item in Windows. Internet is down, internal network is for sure up. Only way to fix it was a hard reset of the computer.

I believe I found the source of the problem and solution.

I am using Zonealarm and that program will periodically call back 'home'. But if the bw is fully utilized by uTorrent, then it just hangs the internet connectivity.

This happens even if you explicitly tell it not to auto update anything.

The solution is to put in the HOST file:

127.0.0.1 pa1.zonelabs.com

127.0.0.1 pa2.zonelabs.com

So far so good. No freezeups at all.

Smart Defense shouldnt be talking to zonelabs without asking first. And Im sure it didnt warn me about needing to check some recommended setting, especially when there wasnt a new program installed.

uTorrent still hasnt hung after I've done this. Im fairly certain this fixed it.

I seriously overload my network with 15-20 torrents uploading/downloading at the same time.

I havent seen this problem since i've done that. Perhaps a less extreme way is to go into zonealarm and program control and disable the client update for zonealarm. That should in theory do the same thing. Havent tested it yet though.

well i did never find a solution for my large torrent hash problem

whenever using a torrent of the 4GB size with hashes of 4mib i still get a freeze it is however less common now tha ti have the larger PSU very frustrating i just have given up on that torrent.

It is odd though that you'd link the failure to a PSU, as that connotes some faulty wiring in the power being exposed through the constant access to / from the hard drive over the 12+V rails.

All I can suggest, short of you scheduling some time over RDP or some other service with one of those smart guys (bows before Firon DWKnight and the rest of the dev team), is to keep updating the thread with a current Process Explorer log of uT DLLs, and to see if anything crept back into your HiJackThis log which you (thought you) uninstalled :/

Aint bugs a bitch to diagnose :(

Archived