Ports wont forward and my speeds are bad *screenshots*

Dev480

Ive tried everything i can think of to make my speeds good and have had no luck :(

i tried the speed guide on utorrent and did all the steps and have a static ip.

pic-> http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=32792788fw5.jpg

but when i click on "test if port is forwarded properly" this is what i get.

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10723541xh4.jpg

I have a WRT54G linksys router plz help

Err... You're comparing port 50554 vs. 51485.

Can you double check that your IP is indeed 192.168.1.102: Start -> Run -> cmd -> ipconfig /all

Afterwards, you can test with a torrent from http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ to see if you get any incoming (peers tab, "I" flag) peers to prove the port forwarding is working.

Please report back with any questions/problems/concerns.

Well... OK, so you are running OOo torrent RIGHT NOW, and are seeing those 70 KiBps download yes?

Are you seeing the green check network status icon?

If so, it is the peers on the other swarms not configured correctly to upload fairly to YOU when you upload fairly to them.

Also, 100 KiBps is ~ 1 Mbit. If you only have a .5Mbit/.25Mbit (Down/Up) connection, it's impossible for you to have 100 KiBps down ;)

Kthen. The best I can tell you is to double check your settings under Ctrl-G and make sure you are not splitting your upload to an infinitesmal amount. My opinion is that anything < 5 KiBps is not reasonable. This means for a .5Mbit (30KiB) upload you set 6 slots TOTAL and split it however you want to run uT. IF you like lots of torrents running, set Queueing to 6 total torrents and 3 downloading, with 1 upload slot. IF you like lots of slots for one torrent, change that to 1 total 1 downloading and make it 6 slots. ALSO you have the option of enabling "<90% utilization" which tells uT you trust it to open more slots when you are conencted to a slow peer (dialup for example) to keep sharing as efficiently as possible with the least overhead.

Oh! I almost forgot, since you download like that, please please PLEASE make sure you set a reasonably low number of peers (in the above example of 6 torrents: 120 total, with 20 per torrent). This keeps your upload from being lots and lots of peer connection data which isn't necessary and wastes possible bandwidth.

jewelisheaven, i have done everything you have suggested in all of the previouse other posts however even after running open office i still cant get the ports forwarded properly and still have a yellow triangle in my network task bar, when i ran openoffice i had flags under the peers tab and my speed had increased to my advertised speed i just never had the green in the network task bar. When i try to download some other torrent i have no flags in peer tab no connection in my task bar and am running at 20 to 30kbps. Any suggestions for me since eveyone else seems to get the yellow triangle to go away when they run openoffice, buy i cant..

Welcome from alaska :) Land of ice and snow.

OK, it's not your fault if you hadn't specifically changed any of your settings. The OpenOffice torrent itself doesn't FIX a thing. It is a relatively easy to reference, easy to use, known, working, well-seeded torrent. What it allows troubleshooters to test is people's connections. If someone is firewalled, there is no problem because the peers are not. The peers can maximize almost any download speed due to their multi-homed nature so it is a test whether the ISP is shaping bittorrent traffic in particular.

To start at the beginning:

1) Are you directly connected to your internet, or are you behind a router?

2) Are you running any software firewalls or network QoS services?

3) Do you see a "download limited" message in the lower left portion of the uTorrent taskbar?

To address #1 you need to know where your router is located. If your start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig IP address is 192.168.0.101, try entering 192.168.0.1 in your browser. If you do not have a router, try connecting to 192.168.100.1. That is a pretty common implementation for modem IPs. After you know the IP, you need to follow the portforward guides to enter your uT port, into the "Port Forwarding" or "Virtual Server" section of your router configuration and make sure it goes to the destination / internal / receiver IP address (your IP from 'ipconfig') .

After that try OpenOffice again to check if the settings took.

Addressing #2 is a bit easier since.. well it's all on your hardware. You need to make an exception for the utorrent.exe OR make a rule the same way as for a router, except through your software firewall's configuration.

Number 3 is a bit of a cheat, if the rest is setup correctly, you need to increase your forced / set upload capacity (being stingy isn't nice).

If there are more questions feel free to post them here.

Thank you for the welcome to the forum, i am currently using a router it is a Belkin, i had already done steps 1 and 2 before i ran open office the first time. I had disabled DHCP server and set up static ip address for my computer and have set up port forwarding in my virtual server according to my interpretation of the guide. I have windows firewall and that is it and have already made sure there is an exception for Ut. I do not see a "download limited" in my task bar anywhere. Now when i followed the port forward guide i was unclear weather or not i plugged in my router ip address or my computer ip address in the virtual server screen, i choose to use the computer ip address. Because that was the way i read it. i will try to change it to my router ip address and then run openoffice again to test. If that does not work i will try your #3 cheat. Which i am unsure how to increase my forced/set up load capacity.

Thank You again.

I have a 2WIRE GATEWAY (2701HG-T) modem/router. I am in Mexico and this modem/router comes from TelMex Telephone company. I am running XP Professional on a Toshiba laptop.

I have a yellow triangle in the status bar. I went to Portforwarding.com and did exactly what they said to properly forward my listening port. It is still blocked.

Please, any suggestions! I am new at this and 14kB download is making me pull my hair out!!!!!!!

IF you read the thread about the WRT54 series, you see there are no less than THREE homebrew-customized firmwares which make them rock-solid... I would first see if the firmware on the router is old, or can be updated. Then I might check to see if there's an alternative floating around. Other than that, you need to limit your settings in windows and utorrent (Ctrl-P -> Advanced = net.max_halfopen and bt.connect_speed) and keep your Ctrl-P-> BitTorrent settings low enough to keep it from breaking too often. I'm not sure how low "low" is... but I would start with 100 max, and 20 per torrent.

teo: Hmmm, OK, can you try http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ please while not running any other networking tasks to see what kind of speeds your ISP lets you get?

OK, i checked firmware its good, i ran openoffice again and i have peers flags, however i have no green in network status it is still yellow triangle, i have set up port forwarding correctly, and when i ran openoffice it was downloading quickly, but when i go to test on different torrent it slows down again, what else can i do ??

OK, that's good :) One more thing to check off the list. If the openoffice torrent doesn't give you a green check, there's still a problem somewhere with the port. That's the cool thing about that swarm, with the peers they seed it with, sure you can probably max any connection BUT a 100 Mbit down, BUT it will tell you whether or not you're firewalled somehow.

First we should get it so the openoffice goes green though. That allows you to connect with firewalled peers and ensures that when you get a connectio there's no mischief going on degrading the service (that you can control. ISPs doing mucky things, you can do little about).

Just to verify you're still running the port forwarding on the router with YOUR IP (ipconfig) as the destination IP address right? If so, the next thing to test would be to keep Ctrl-P -> Connection -> Add uTorrent to windows firewall. Say OK to that, then go to logger tab and tick 'verbose' and 'errors' in the right click menu. Then close uT, and open up windows firewall, and remove the rule there for uT. (Do you notice any irregularities in there? multiple entries, etc)

After that, open uT back up, and pop open the Logger tab. Do you see messages there regarding any error setting up the exception on your port?

Finally, are you running any software you think could be messing with your internet traffic? Internet security software? Worm protection? If you're not sure you can download, run, and paste the log from HiJackThis into a post below.

i am also having a speed issue. if i try running a torrent, i can get a max of 15kbps, but most of the time it is 0, even if there are seeders in the swarm. it says my ports are closed and i have gone through the portforwarding.com thing for my router and my ISP doesnt throttle torrents. when i try the OO.org torrent all the seeds are connecting and i get 150+kbps but the port is still labeled as closed (port 49152). i am using a WRT54G v4, system is vista with ZA security and windows firewall disabled. and yes, i have gone through the firewall and created the proper exceptions to allow portforwarding. i have even tried running without the firewall on for a few hours and it is still closed with little to no download speed.

ZoneAlarm settings can be found here. I was using ZA this morning, and other than its obnoxious use of memory (150MB total -- I suspect there was some memory leak), it was performing decently, even when µTorrent was downloading at ~900KiB/s. I'm not really sure why people seem to have all these odd problems while running µT alongside ZA. Anyhow, I got rid of the thing a few hours ago because of the memory usage.

I'm playing with COMODO Firewall Pro v3.0 right now, and it's working very well too (and uses merely ~10MB RAM too). My configurations for COMODO can be found here. I don't use Defense+, which seems to cause problems for lots of people using COMODO Firewall Pro v3.0.

sorry guys but i have a really strange problem here..

i've forwarded correctly everything but what happens is that sometimes the check gives me green light and sometimes id doesn't..

i mean: if i click on "speed test button" i'll receive 90% of times the "Error! Port 26588 does not appear to be open." message but if i refresh (or repeat the check severally) i can receive either the previous one or the "OK! Port 26588 is open and accepting connections." message..

looks pretty strange since i do not have any software firewall application installed and/or enabled...

can anybody help me?

thanks a lot in advance

ps: of course speeds are not that high... (more or less 70KBps in dload)

EDIT: i forgot to say that i'm connected to the net via a belkin router FSD7633-4 without using DHCP)

Hmmm....i don't know if my problem is the same or not..but it's been week since i can't use my torrent...

it happens when 1 of the switch connected to my computer is malfunction....and my network cable also cannot be used...

Suddenly...it appears that the switch is ok again so does the network cable...

then...i can't use my torrent at all T_T can someone tell me what happen????

I try to reinstall it and found out that the port is closed...

i try the portforward using the IP but the page cannot be dispayed....

i don't know what else to do....can someone pls..pls help me...T_T.....

Archived