speed low after doing all i could

sky3vil

hi all, this is my first post and i needed help, bad!

ok, let's get straight to the subject:

*port forwarded

*disabled ip resolve

*firewall port configure(using comodo pro 3)

*speed guide configured using actual maximum upload speed

*upload slots lowered to 2

*half_open limit lowered to 4

*using peer guardian 2, avg 7.5, spyware terminator

*ran TCP optimizer from speedguide

*image http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7061/utorrentxy6.jpg

*speed HARDLY go up to 10kB(normally between 0.2 - 1 kB)

*tested with popular torrent

*ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME?

Test it with http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ please. This is a known seeded working torrent swarm please :)

Edit: also the picture you posted shows the lower pane, but you didn't highlight the torrent to show the information for that torrent ;)

It is possible with your Ctrl-G settings any number of reasons could cause you to be "limited" practically at the same download speed as your upload speed. Could you post a picture of your Ctrl-G settings?

OK, well first off I'm sorry but many ISPs in your area discourage (read as: butcher your ability) to share files.

You may indeed need to limit your Connections settings (Ctrl-P -> Connection) further to squeeze every drop out of your downloads. A 239 Kbps upload is ~ 30 KiBps. That doesn't mean your ISP allows you to upload that fast. You can try re-settings your Ctrl-G settings to xx/256 or LOWER and from there lowering Ctrl-P -> Connection settings to 30 GLOBAL, 10 per torrent, and 1 upload slot.

It is good you did as Ultima's How-TO suggests and disable all of the bells-and-whistles for IP resolve and lowered the half-open connections. I don't know what specific measures the .MY ISPs do to discourage sharing... It is possible if you open up a localized (mainly .MY peers) torrent swarm you may achieve better speeds. It can be inferred from your speedtest picture your ISP may have given you a 1 Mbit/.25Mbit connection but due to you using primarily torrents with peers in the USA your "*speed HARDLY go up to 10kB(normally between 0.2 - 1 kB)"... which I completely understand and sympathize with.

The point being that the less you stress your connection with active peers and torrents and overhead communicating with them the more bandwidth (of what little you are given) can be used for file transfer.

Please report back with any differences/changes you notice.

well do as you told:

what can i tell is speed go maximum 7kBps

and yes i subscribe to a 1mbps package but this isp(telekom malaysia berhad) had nearly monopolized the market. erm... so without competition, it's hard to make improvement, doesn't it?

btw:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3589/uttorrent5my8.jpg

EXTRA info:

well when i used bitcomet i can get 90kB+. ONLY if the torrent support "LT seed" which i duno what it means and from the peer tab i can see that all LT seed is all local. if the torrent don't support "LT seeds" then i get horrible speed.

Local Peer Discovery works that was I guess... Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent

It works by advertising in your local subnet/ masked ISP addresses.. but it has been my experience it only works with people in your area. Did you test my theory with a torrent which would have alot of peers from your local area, or at least from .MY ISPs?

Well since I can't seem to find a glossary for bitcomet or anything at their site and I'm currently working on something else.. my best guess is ... MAYBE :/

If those IP ranges are close to you... for example my IP is 76.169.x.x which means I recognize people in that as "local" to me in my ISP and probably from my area according to DNS.. they would show up as local peers ("L" flag under Peers tab).

well actually i am wondering why bitcomet can connect to those "LT seeds" and get a reasonable speed and utorrent cant( i mean those "LTseeds" are still seeds after all) btw,without those "LT seeds", i also can HARDLY get a speed of more than 10kBps on bitcomet...

Account name where? If it's to login to the ISP then it's possibly you are not "registered" on your computer. You will need to get them to re-register it to your Physical address (start->run->cmd->ipconfig /all) ... the MAC address of the LAN card as 6 hexidecimal values xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx. If it's on your computer, perhaps you are not forwarding the port correctly or on the right number. Again I have no experience with bitcomet and the documentation/help I could find didn't give me half a clue as to the function/purpose of "LT" peering.

I mean...I use my friend's isp user name to login with my pc, and it works fine. But then I use my own isp user name with the same pc, and it only get 1kBps if without connecting to LT seed. Do you think my port forward doing not correct? I did follow the guide from portforward.com...

Unfortunately I don't know how logging into a specific account on the ISP would affect anything, unless you're not on the same pay grade?? Are you paying for the same type of service?

If the configuration is the same, and he can connect to services with green network status icon, I believe that points to some limitation in your account. Are there any configuration options you can perform in your account to make it like his account?

• 2 weeks later...

Well then... it requires some more indepth analysis of your two accounts :( which I cannot provide.

Ain't that a kicker though, you who paid more for service, are finding your service more restrictive than a lesser one...

Hey you know what you may be able to do... Get at least current down-grading and a refund for the purchase price, or credit if you have to "move" from one plan to the other... You will want to research it definitely before calling the ISP. Depending upon the salesperson you talk to you may have to pay a disconnect fee.

Also still no leads on this "LT" option in BitComet I've been doing off and on research since you initially brought it up heh. I see BitComet has a new release out and I still seem to be able to connect to them through interesting means on my end so I commend their dev team for getting through such interesting network configurations.

"LT" seeding stands for Long-Term seeding.

The .torrent file may have already been deleted, but its content is still around.

BitComet remembers past history, and if it can find the contents...it can (and often will!) share it.

It's no longer via the standard BitTorrent protocol.

No, this is in fact a disguised web seed.

Yes, a HTTP seedbox.

Now pause for a moment...it's getting by ISP interference only because it really is regular web traffic!

Now, why we don't want to do that?

Well, BitComet's snafu with it would be a good place to start:

http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?s=f94870f020efd011a4273ddb00e1240b&showtopic=12790878

They fixed it in the next version.

...But, the intent of BitTorrent is to share what you're trying to get now so you can get it faster and count on someone else sharing it later. Not sharing something indefinitely like LT seeding proposes.

Before anyone tries to argue otherwise, just remember that it doesn't matter if you're sharing files via torrent or HTTP -- you have limited upload and that doesn't get changed just because (part of) the protocol does. While this may NOT be the case for ISPs that throttle BitTorrent traffic, it will not stay that way once ISPs catch on fully! At least in that sense, the idea is worthy of study...but not to be taken to any absurd degrees.

To me, a very high or very low UL:DL ratio represents a failure of one kind or another. A very high ratio is a failure if it is NECESSARY to keep a torrent seeded. A very low ratio is a failure, firstly because BitTorrent's tit-for-tat system either didn't work or the downloader didn't stay around very long after getting 100% of the torrent.

It's one thing to be forced to share while you're downloading...but LT seeding looks poised to possibly force you to share even when you remove the .torrent file.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just visited the forum and they say that they've just fixed in 0.98B? Isn't it that means there will be no longer LT seed support in future? Then that's really a bad news for me, cause I can only rely on LT seed to download since my ISP (almost monopoly in my country) block P2P protocol even if I enabled the encryption.

I don't think they are REMOVING Long-Term seeding. I think the fix funchords provided proof of was to NOT keep the feature on for "trashed" torrents, aka removed from the active list.

:/ You can check out the in-development 1.8 line. It includes some workarounds for shaping developed between collaboration between Azureus libtorrent and uT devs. Please run it self-encapsulated so it doesn't affect your current settings.

Archived