speed low after doing all i could

sky3vil

• 3 months later...

A little information for Switeck to consider before posting next time... Bittorrent is a protocol ment for users of internet to share files. It was ment to give another option for ppl on how to share things, find things etc etc... That is why it was never charged for nor limited in pay-for servers only. I am an internet user and I like my privacy when I share or when I leech sth that I want. Utorrent on the other hand made another step towards "big brother" by pairing up with a monitoring company that exists for spying on ppl that share and putting a limit on their freedom of privacy. Before blaming another torrent client do think of these first... Cause I surely won't allow any stupid team that wants to make some more $$ off a FREE, let me say it again FREE protocol, to accuse a client that I used for exacly that, free sharing on the internet.

Bitcomet is one of these programs. And that's the reason why most private servers don't allow use of it. Not cause of the "Errors" it gives on speed reporting. It's cause of all the features that ensure that a torrent you leeched from others, others got a right to leach from you. And that all without anyone spying on them about what they get or give like with utorrent.

By the way... why do many IPs that are reported using utorrent end up in that company? Is that for their addvertising purpose? So what are they addvertising? Illegan as they would be called files? Use NeoTrace to find this out :) it will surely be to everyone that uses utorrent liking. Utorrent is now simply another means for these companies to brake into our computer and find out what we are sharing!!!

About LT seed I think I already gave an indirect answer but I will say it again just in case it wasn't understoud. LT seed is another means that BitComet makes sure that you do share what you get. Not simply get it and dissapear. And it also allows for ppl with an ISP not allowing Bittorrent sharing to get those torrents, leech and share them.

Big or low share ratios are NOT a failure. It is an outcome of clients like Utorrent. Clients that give the option to leech but not share. Clients that give the option to monitoring companies to pass as simple users and spy on all others. With this fear I wouldn't like to keep seeding too long either.

So to conclude this post. If you want ppl to actually have normal ratios then:

1)Make sure that you keep those companies away from BitTorrent protocol (unlike Utorrent) with use of those free programs that were designed for that (blacklists like peerguardian)

2)Make sure that clients like utorrent do not survive. So that those companies do not get the chance to use them as means of breaking our privacy and our right to share what we get and need.

PS.: I am sure that my post won't survive long enough to be seen. But it's yet another step in breaking the cloud over what Utorrent really is...

BitTorrent does not lend itself well to long term seeding, as metadata (that not everyone has) is required for BitTorrent to work. DHT along with magnet links alleviate this problem slightly, but it's still not perfect.

BitTorrent was designed to offload bandwidth usage from the initial seeder, and by its design, had the side effect of being a quick P2P protocol as well. By funchord's own admission, BitComet doesn't perform well as an initial seeder. So much for being a good BitTorrent client?

If you value complete Internet privacy, then you might want to pull that plug from your computer. Otherwise, you're stuck with handing out your IP to other computers you're trying to communicate with.

On to specific responses...

Clients that give the option to monitoring companies to pass as simple users and spy on all others. With this fear I wouldn't like to keep seeding too long either.

I honestly don't have anything personal against BitComet (these client wars that so many users seem to love bore me), but I'll indulge, just for the time being. Here, public evidence that BitComet doesn't allow its users to disable central tracking from their servers. After 8 months since it was first reported, it's still a problem. So where's your evidence that µTorrent phones home, after more than a year since µTorrent was purchased?

Here's µTorrent's Privacy Policy (linked to from the bottom of every page on www.utorrent.com). Do tell, where's BitComet's privacy policy? Buried in their blog somewhere, whereas the official location (that any normal user would look for the privacy policy) seems to have a broken link. Quite professional/trustworthy.

Utorrent on the other hand made another step towards "big brother" by pairing up with a monitoring company that exists for spying on ppl that share and putting a limit on their freedom of privacy.

Your ignorance (as well as the incoherence with which you wrote the post) tempted me to stop right around there. A little something to consider before you post next time: if you're going to level any claims against µTorrent, I suggest you bring Real Evidence™ (you know, like, with Wireshark logs, since you seem to be an expert at this whole privacy/spying stuff and all). Otherwise, please, do take the tinfoil hat off. I mean, who likes griping tinfoil-hatted FUD-packers, right?

I am sure that my post won't survive long enough to be seen.

Why? Because this forum has a long history of not censoring users just because the staff disagrees?

Odrin,

You have taken my post out of context...although I am no friend of BitComet, I was replying to jewelisheaven's request for info about the "LT" option in BitComet.

The link I posted to the BitComet web forums in my previous post explains it better than I can.

"Big or low share ratios are NOT a failure. It is an outcome of clients like Utorrent."

I gave exacting examples of what I consider both high and low ratio failures. My examples do NOT rule out the possibility that uTorrent is at fault for these failures. By 'failures', I mean that we should NOT need high ratios to keep a torrent seeded...nor should we have low ratios if we let our properly-configured BitTorrent client-of-choice run on its own.

"Clients that give the option to leech but not share."

...would not be uTorrent, CERTAINLY not the latest v1.8 beta! The upload speed setting is TIED to your resulting download speed, and you will be hard-pressed to cheat it in a manner which nets you a GOOD download speed that you cannot beat by sharing. In the event you do figure out a way to beat it, I'll wager something similar or the same will work on BitComet.

"Clients that give the option to monitoring companies to pass as simple users and spy on all others."

Are you saying monitoring companies CAN'T run BitComet?

Or maybe you missed my posts in the message thread..."BitComet is evil":

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=29348

"Make sure that clients like utorrent do not survive. So that those companies do not get the chance to use them as means of breaking our privacy and our right to share what we get and need."

Better start with BitComet then, as the "BitComet is evil" message thread shows.

"I am an internet user and I like my privacy when I share or when I leech sth that I want."

"With this fear I wouldn't like to keep seeding too long either."

So you are saying you wouldn't share...and you recommend not sharing to others?

I refuse! I don't agree with that!

First. An answer to Ultima,

How many Real Evidence™ do you want me to give you? I can get you many many IP logs off the PeerGuard accompanied with the BitComet photo that shows the banned IPs to use utorrent. Would you like some Neotrace photos with this too? Showing even the address of the final IP that your utorrent is based on.

BTW if I was in YOUR place I would try to click (left mouse button) on the hyperlink before accusing. It works finely for me at least! That's the official link you are posting about the Privacy Policy...

Buried in their blog somewhere, whereas the official location (that any normal user would look for the privacy policy) seems to have a broken link. Quite professional/trustworthy.

Also I apologize about the non surviving post. Indeed it is still alive.

Finally. I am really sorry to hear this line once again...

If you value complete Internet privacy, then you might want to pull that plug from your computer.

This is a line for naive users to post... Not someone that is given the responsibility of a moderator. Wanting to be private does not mean shut all things down and live in caves. We live in the 21st century. Technology is part of our lives and we need to accept this. What YOU say is that with technology we must forget privacy and ALSO ACCEPT BIG BROTHER. I say NO. I want technology. Not big brother. You want it? Keep it for yourself. Don't impose it on me by hiding it deep within your client.

Second. An answer to Switeck. Also a moderator...

Try this:

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/8945/STUDY:+Examining+the+Myths+and+Facts+Concerning+BitComet+Behavior

It will surely clear up those facts about BitComet. BitComet is not good for first seed. OK. It takes some time to upload as initial seeder. Now where is the evil BitComet? These are the facts. Don't stay on the myths...

"I am an internet user and I like my privacy when I share or when I leech sth that I want."

"With this fear I wouldn't like to keep seeding too long either."

So you are saying you wouldn't share...and you recommend not sharing to others?

I refuse! I don't agree with that!

What are you talking about here? I am not using utorrent... I DON'T have this fear. I don't have 30% of my torrent clients end on monitoring companies. I have a minimum share ratio of 5. Not 2 not 1. What I say is that if my client was utorrent I would have that fear. So I would like to stay on the swarm as little as possible. Trade with as little as possible and get the heck out of there as soon as possible.

Are you saying monitoring companies CAN'T run BitComet?

They can. But I don't have my client's company say "Thanx for using my client to monitor people. We love you so much that we want to partner with you"

So which one is the evil client? Let's think....

Your reading comprehension is simply astounding. Fail more?

1) I already asked you specifically for Wireshark logs that prove µTorrent to be phoning home. Still not seeing it. You'd think that after a whole year since the buyout, SOMEONE, or SOMETHING would have provided solid evidence against µTorrent already. No, wait, you must be the authority that everyone believes just because you say µTorrent does phone home even though other (undoubtedly more qualified) people have not been able to prove the FUD. Nice. FYI, PeerGuardian is NOT a professional-grade network analysis tool (more like tinfoil-hatter's dream tool to satisfy their need for more FUD). So much for that idea, yah? No, I don't need a screenshot from BitComet that shows it banned a peer (whoopty doo, µTorrent bans other peers as well). No, I don't need a screenshot of a fancy shmancy traceroute either. I want to see a Wireshark log with the dubious packets that clearly indicate that µTorrent is communicating with that ultra-secret society of spies and sending back compromising data.

2) The BitComet Privacy Policy is still a dead link. If you read my post more carefully, you'll notice that I said the page I linked to is WHERE THE PRIVACY POLICY IS LINKED FROM, not WHERE IT IS SUPPOSEDLY LOCATED. Try again?

Don't impose it on me by hiding it deep within your client.

No one's asking or FORCING you to use µTorrent. Unlike what you seem to believe, we don't need ignorant FUD-packers here. On the other hand, you shouldn't be imposing your paranoia on everyone else, mkay?

Don't stay on the myths...

That one really cracked me up. Honestly, what's with them silly people "stay[ing] on the myths," right?

Try this:

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/8945/STUDY:+Examining+the+Myths+and+Facts+Concerning+BitComet+Behavior

It will surely clear up those facts about BitComet.

And there it is, people: undeniable proof that Odrin doesn't read anything he writes and/or responds to. I guess dodging the thing about BitComet actually phoning home (without any way to disable it) is to be expected from someone like Odrin? Feel good knowing about (but quietly dismissing) the bug that Switeck was referring to, and which I reiterated in my previous post? No wait, it's all a myth, and funchord's writeup debunks this legend about BitComet sending hashes and torrent names back to their servers in the clear (NOT)...

So which one is the evil client? Let's think....

Ooh, ooh, I know this one! It's gotta be the one for which there is undeniable proof that it's phoning home, right?

BTW, where'd you get that tinfoil hat? It's very nice and shiny.

Serious Note: Odrin isn't backing his claim up with serious proof, so it's difficult to give a serious response. Saying "oh I have proof alright," and then not providing it? Thinking that PeerGuardian logs are substantial/reliable pieces of evidence? You must honestly be kidding yourself. If you seriously believe PeerGuardian logs showing µTorrent to (apparently) be connecting to some "suspicious" IP to be strong evidence, then you might want to reconsider that line of thought, as that's exactly how the MAFIAA thinks ("oh, I see this user's IP in the swarm -- litigation time!").

I clearly asked for evidence in my previous post. What was his reply? "Oh, I've got, do you want?" Well gee, I guess I asked for nothing.

I have nothing against users out to seek the truth. I have something against users that claim to know it all, but then come around and prove that they're as sheepish as the next paranoid fool.

And no, I'm not bashing on BitComet. I'm merely highlighting the fact that while Odrin claims µTorrent to be the spy and BitComet to be the defender of the free, he actually has the situation all mixed up. µTorrent does not spy on its users. BitComet may not be spying, but the fact remains that it is communicating back home with torrent hashes and torrent names in the clear without telling its users, and without any way to opt out.

Butchering a useful topic with know-nothing morons :(

That or you trolled... and the helpers are a bit too hyped up on Memorial Juice.

Your original post was OT, and didn't belong in here Ordrin... resurrecting a 3 month old thread when there's at LEAST TWO threads about bitcomet or bitcomet vs utorrent.... You are officially admonished. YARR!

Archived