WMP does not recognize .torrent files

epochone

Was using bittorrent and things worked fine (if it ain't broke...) but upon changing to utorrent torrents don't start downloading. Instead it goes straight to a Windows Media Player (11.0) screen with the aforementioned error. Also getting an occassional explorer lockup (coinydink?) Thanks in advance.

ControlP ? With Vista that brings up Printer settings. Have not yet tried to "save as".

***Tried to save first but it just saves the shortcut, not the file, and then it's back to the same problem. No doubt this is torrent 1A stuff but non-obvious solutions to simple problems perplex me.

• 1 year later...

Any of the original posters of this thread still around? I'm having this problem too. I did the ctrl-P in uTorrent and got the window, and could see a grayed-out pane which mentioned associating, but ... I'm sort of stuck. In over my head with this technically, not very good at working through things when they're not dead-intuitive and this doesn't seem to be very easy for me to understand. I tried reading the help files and discovered I only understood five words out of ten. Obviously I don't do this kind of stuff much.

I can see I need to tell Windows Media to leave the torrent files alone, that they're not music files, and need to tell my computer uTorrent should play them as video or movies, but I'm not seeing how to do it. Can anyone help get me unstuck?

If no one answers before Friday afternoon (it's 4 a.m Fri now) don't fash yerself; I'll just get my pet computer wiz (husband)working on it. He'll probably sort it for me.

Melis

Er, perhaps this may be a bit late, but you can try clearing the .torrent file association as follows:

1. Open Windows Explorer (any folder will do)

2. Tools > Folder Options... > File Types > TORRENT

3. Delete that entry

4. In µTorrent, Prefrences > General > Associate with .torrent files

Archived