µTorrent moving torrents to its root directory.

Nine

Hello members and moderators of these forums,

First off, great software, runs perfectly.

But since moving to Linux, and running µTorrent in Wine it moves torrent files to its root directory, whilst I have a subdirectory in the µTorrent root directory where I store my torrents like this:

-µTorrent
|-Torrents

Now I have double checked the settings, and none of the settings concerning the moving of files are activated nor have any data in them. I find µTorrent's continuous behavior of moving the torrents highly annoying, since I then have to use BEncode editor (great tool for moving µtorrent and torrents around, my hat of to the creator) to fix the proper location of the torrent. Sometimes it even renames the torrent files.

Is there a solution to this strange behavior?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Does the µtorrent port checker use a ping to determine if the port is open? Before it always said my port was open (it still is) but now, since I switched my router to drop wan side pings, it always gives me an error that the port is not open. But I can still download and upload at max (allocated) speeds.

Are you sure the correct settings are set under Ctrl-P -> Other?

Yes, that's what I said in my post, here to be precise:

Now I have double checked the settings, and none of the settings concerning the moving of files are activated nor have any data in them.

Here's a screenshot:

7d9fb93f.png

Oh, I forgot to add to my previous post, yes I run build 4602, or version 1.7.5, which is afaik the latest version.

Assuming settings.dat lives in the same directory as your µTorrent executable, then therein lies your problem. µTorrent will always store the .torrent files in the same directory as the settings.dat that it's using unless told otherwise. You're going to need to specify the storage location you in that page of the Preferences (using full paths, since you're not using 1.8).

Hrmmm, great *cough*, so I cannot use nested torrent folders after all. Will there be an option in version 1.8 to turn that completely off? I.e. that it won't bother moving (and renaming) torrent files from the location said torrent is started from? Or does the "Load .torrent files in this folder automatically" option do this including the subdirectories of the specified folder?

µTorrent will always copy the .torrent file into its cache. There won't be any option to make it behave otherwise. The only thing you can do is tell it to store its .torrent files wherever you want them. It won't do anything fancy, like directory heirarchies based on label -- it simply stores them flat in the specified directory.

Ehm, Ultima. Since when does cache mean copying files around on a hard drive? Heck, it works just as well with the torrents indeed in their respective folders according to label. All µTorrent does currently (from what I can gather without source) when a new torrent is added, is copying the file to where the settings.dat is located, or the folder specified for storage, and then reads the data. I find that rather illogical. I mean, I tell µTorrent to open file x in location x. That way I have more control and more structure in my torrents folder. I do not want it to just copy my torrents to some remote location (Documents and Settings on Windows if you haven't moved settings.dat) where it then goes about its business.

That should only be done with torrent files one adds by URL.

Anyways, thanks for the information Ultima. That basically means I'll have to keep editing my resume.dat every time I add a torrent.

Cache as in cache of .torrent files (which, as mentioned, is stored in the settings.dat directory by default). µTorrent needs to make a copy because there's no other way it can be guaranteed that the user will actually keep the .torrent file wherever they opened it.

Cache as in cache of .torrent files (which, as mentioned, is stored in the settings.dat directory by default). µTorrent needs to make a copy because there's no other way it can be guaranteed that the user will actually keep the .torrent file wherever they opened it.

And there's no option to change that why? I can see the problem with people downloading the torrent files to a temporary directory, adding the file to µTorrent and then cleaning the temporary directory, but I don't see why that can't be an option under 'Advanced'.

As for my yet unanswered question:

Or does the "Load .torrent files in this folder automatically" option do this including the subdirectories of the specified folder?

... You need to SET where you want to store torrents in uT if you want it to manage it for you. Otherwise you will have multiple copies. A way around this is if you normally SAVE torrents to a location, you can utilize the auto-load feature under Ctrl-P -> Other. If you only want one copy of the torrent, tick the "delete instead of renaming" option.

The reason you must set it is implied in the way you can configure uT to run... FAQ uT doesn't clutter your hard drive with useless stuff. It has a default operation of using %APPDATA%\uTorrent unless you override it. When you override it the storage mechanism is the same (torrents + settings in same folder) so if you want to override it, you MUST use the supplied options under Ctrl-P -> Other.

... You need to SET where you want to store torrents in uT if you want it to manage it for you. ~etc~

Did you even read my posts? That's what I don't want! I want to manage my torrents myself. All µtorrent has to do with a torrent file is know where it is and take the data from it when needed. My problem is that I cannot turn of this "Hahaha, you're too stupid to manage torrent files"-feature. I have used the "store torrent files in this location" before, but turned it off since I was moving from windows to Linux. And I know how to make µtorrent run self-contained in one directory. I've been doing that since I started using it.

Thus I ask if those options concerning the storage and auto-loading of torrent files consider subdirectories or not.

And stop being so condescending, I know how to use µtorrent, what the options mean and do, and where those options are. Hence why I ask specific questions for specific goals which I have not seen answered in the FAQ to make sure what those options can and can't do in detail. So stop being an annoying know-it-all. Hell, from what I gather on these forums I'm not the only person who thinks you're annoying Jih. Get out of this topic, I seek answers from moderators, administrators and/or developers. Thank you for your attempt at helping though.

Yes I read every post I comment in, and some I don't comment in. Full pathing is supported irregardless, that has never changed. What has changed in the current pre-beta 1.8 line is that RELATIVE pathing is supported.

To repeat, YES sub-directories are supported but you must use the full path... if you want to try relative pathing, I would recommend reading the entire 1.8 development thread before commenting further.

Yes I read every post I comment in, and some I don't comment in. Full pathing is supported irregardless, that has never changed. What has changed in the current pre-beta 1.8 line is that RELATIVE pathing is supported.

To repeat, YES sub-directories are supported but you must use the full path... if you want to try relative pathing, I would recommend reading the entire 1.8 development thread before commenting further.

You obviously don't understand it then. Let me try to make it clear like this:

µtorrent
|-torrents
|--Folder 1
|---TorrentInFolder1.torrent
|---SecondTorrentInFolder1.torrent
|---Etc.torrent
|--Folder 2
|---TorrentInFolder2.torrent
|---SecondTorrentInFolder2.torrent
|---EtcInFolder2.torrent
|--TorrentFileInTorrentsDir.torrent
|--Another.torrent
|--EtcInTorrents.torrent

Now my question is if any of the options discussed in this topic will take those subfolders into account. Like the "Store .torrent files in the following location..." will it check the sub folders in my torrents folder to see if a .torrent file it wants to move to the torrents folder is already in there and thus won't move it? Or will it just ignore those folders, dump the torrent in the specified root folder? If it'll do the latter I'll keep continuing with killing the program every time I add a torrent so that I can move it to the correct location in the resume.dat.

And I know that all stable releases of µtorrent only support full paths, BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY QUESTIONS AND GRIPES! I bloody well know how to set up those settings once I know what they can do exactly in detail.

Now, please R>C>P. Or better yet, don't post since that'll mean you read and comprehended the post.

Multiple nested directories are not supported, and I don't envision many users who would want that much freedom by default.

The option closest to your query would be Ctrl-P -> Downloads -> Append torrent's label to the directory name., which doesn't exist for torrents. But I think that would be an interesting feature to have.

Nine, I hope you realize that every torrent client does the same thing. You're not supposed to manage .torrent files, just the data.

No, I didn't realize that, since µtorrent was the first torrent client I started with and has paled any other client I have tried since.

Ah well, I'll continue managing my torrents manually then. Thanks, and merry Christmas you all.

@Nine: FWIW, I keep my .torrent files well-organised as well, with sub-directories etc. It's just that my torrent store is kept separate from uTorrent's. So yes, in effect I have duplicates of every torrent loaded in uTorrent, but that's the way I like it. When I'm done with a torrent, I delete it from uTorrent with abandon, knowing I have the original neatly filed in another location. Also, it's not as if .torrents are so huge as to make my duplicate copies approach infeasible.

However, I like your idea of recursively loading torrents from the specified directory and all its sub-directories.

Archived