download speed very low

vatren

Hello everyone,I have a problem with the speed,it wont go above 70kbps I tried downloading several torrents with high seeds and peers but it is the same,I have the green sign at bottom that is the port is forwarded properly I also went through many guide even the Ultima guide but i still cant solve the problem. after the speed test i have set connection type at xx/384k.even as i downloaded the http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ torrent it just reaches a download speed of 100kbps approx.so can someone please help me to reach a good speed.Thanks in advance.

In theory, your max download speed would be 217 KiloBYTES/sec.

In practice, your max download speed probably can't break 200 KiloBYTES/sec even when downloading from a "perfect" website.

Your ip address has changed between your 2 posts, so my guess is you're on an ADSL connection that disconnects whenever there's inactivity and/or every 2+ hours just because your ISP hates its customers.

On "regular" torrents with far more peers than seeds, do you usually reach and sustain the max upload speed you told µTorrent to run at?

I presume you've tried different encryption settings as well as "quiet" modes of operation for µTorrent in the hopes that it's a little less likely to trip any possible BitTorrent disruption your ISP (or the ISPs of whoever you connect to) may be doing.

Ok i understand but i should atleast be able to reach 150kbps to 180kbps down speed but it hardly reache 100kbps with openoffice download.

yes even when i download torrents with more peers and less seeds it reaches the max upload speed given to it but the download speed stays lower.why does that happen and how do i solve it.

Its true i did go through few guides and did few changes to the settings but there were no improvement in the speed.

How do you "know" you should reach those speeds? 100 KiBps in uT is ~ to 1 Mbit. If your ISP says you have a 1.5Mbit line down you SHOULD be able to hit 150, but not always. They can interfere with traffic, throttle your connection if you overload on up/down-loading, shape you because they are "managing their network", or any number of other reasons they have full rights to do after you sign their EULA and or AUP and or FUP.

BitTorrent is actually a slightly negative-sum "game".

The combined download speeds of all the participants (basically spread between the peers at the time) is a tiny bit less than the combined upload speed of all the peers+seeds at the time.

If you're downloading faster than you're uploading, then someone else ISN'T.

Now, that someone else could be a seed...but the only way to make more seeds is essentially by having more downloading peers -- which only speeds things up marginally if each has faster upload speeds than average.

On "average" torrents with few seeds, lots of firewalled peers (and the few seeds probably too), hostile ISPs disrupting BitTorrent traffic, and even the odd wireless connection that burps bad packets every so often...it's a wonder it works at all at any speed. Even moreso if you manage to briefly download faster than you're uploading. Helps if you're not firewalled youself as far as µTorrent is concerned. (green light = good :) )

Are you downloading at least twice as fast as you're uploading?

Can you test speeds by slowly increasing upload speed max till it quits running stable?

...Then lower it some to see if download speed increases as well?

Hello everyone, I'm having the same problem as the guy above...

I downloaded a game at great speed with my 2Mb connection on uT 1.7.5, but now I'm downloading another game and the speed is reaching only 5% of my total connection but the Upload is good, reaching the speed I limited of only 300Kb. And today for test I downloaded the same previous game on IE7 at not so great speed but near that.

I'm on XP SP2, using Thomson SpeedTouch 510v6 modem and router with the port being forwarded correctly and the µTorrent 1.7.5 as I said above.

So Please Help Me!

Cheers,

Zord

not exactly during most of my downloads my download speed stays lesser than the upload speed it is usually closer to my upload speed and than falls down it does not reach twice the speed of my upload.

i tried testing my speed by increasing the connection type to xx/512k then my upload speed went a bit higher and my download speed were between 5kb/s to 10kb/s.

then is tried lowering the connection type to xx/256k and this time my upload came down to 22kb and my download speed was the same between 5kb/s to 10kb/s.

Have you tried running your torrents or OpenOffice with Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent -> Protocol Encryption Forced and legacy connections disabled... it is one way casual shaping can be bypassed. Unfortunately if you are getting 70 of 140 expected maximum KiBps on torrents instead of the 100 from OpenOffice I'd say that's pretty much as high as you can go barring slight tweaking to upload slots and active torrents (I recently noticed when I switched to 1 upload slot instead of 2 and I was uploading to this peer my average throughput to it was 20 right, but my download increased from 40 to 100...) It's all about configuring it right, and THEN being able to connect to the right peers in the swarm. :) Every day I look at this and say, hey I could NOT have an internet connection. That always seems to cheer me up, I have no idea why.

Archived