Can't close utorrent

Disinfranchisedvoice

Hello, I have a small problem. I can't get my version of utorrent to close. I just got a new laptop with Vista and I transferred my old version from my pc with XP (version 1.6 build 474). It worked at first so I set it to open on start up. However, after I restarted I could not access utorrent, but it said that the process was running. So I tried the latest version and got a message that said it was already running but not responding and I need to end the process, but I can't end the process no matter how many times I try to. Is there anyway that I can close it so I can delete it and try to run the latest version? Any help is greatly appreciated

EDIT: Since it is setup to run on startup you need to access the registry key i'd imagine. I presume you have tried windows task manager to close it.

If you could try http://www.sysinternals.com Process Explorer and close it through that, it might work.

Overall, ODD ODD behaviour :(

Also I think msconfig exists on vista, which allows you to toggle on/off startup programs. Please keep in mind the "start on startup" is a registry setting so if you didn't run it with that parameter once successfully on Vista it may be another problem. Also it is possible you are running it in /HIDE or /MINIMIZED mode. Did you used to have it set to a bosskey? I'm not sure if the VKEYs are identical for xp -> vista, but it should work. If you do not run uT from a shortcut, I don't know what else to do.

Note that for Vista you should read up on what changes you may need to make to get uT to work properly. Best practices of always backing up your settings before upgrading either uT or your OS are recommended.

Archived