Very complex, new problem that i cant find an answer for

toof5

I have been using torrents and setting up routers for port forwarding for a few years now. Just to clarify, I have taken all steps to figure out my problem on my own. I just got back from school and my utorrent port tester and trackers are telling me I'm not connectable. I've never had this problem before because I would always configure my static ip and router settings correctly. I reset both my modem and my router (dlink di-524). Gave my utorrent and different port and changed the settings in my router to forward port. That fixed the problem at first because I was showing as connectable on utorrent port checker and my trackers. My new problem is after between 5-15 minutes later, utorrent port checker will show me as not connectable, even though I would be displaying the green network check mark. My router is not resetting itself because I checked the log file and my dhcp is not renewing itself. I have it set to do it every week. I will also show up not connectable after I reset everything and give new port to utorrent and router if I start a new torrent. The tracker will report me being not connectable on that one torrent but connectable on the rest. So after searching and searching I found some answers. First I found that I could flash my di-524 to a di-624. It seems more stable. On speakeasy speed test, my dl would stutter around 6-8mb/s. Now I top out at the 10mb/s right away. But my connectable problem still exists so I can rule out my router as being the problem. I then discovered this thread.

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Knowledge;action=display;num=1139203595

I have a surfboard modem (isp is optimum online/cablevision). This would explain why I am connectable at first then minutes later I'm not. But why would I still show up connectable on previous torrents before access to the port is blocked? And why would I be connectable as soon as I start up utorrent but as soon as I add a new torrent I am not?

EDIT: my ip has not been changed by my isp. My normal ip still shows up in my router settings and in the surfboard settings. So I am back to wherre i started with no answers. Please help!

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, I was thinking about getting a new router anyway. Now I don't need the best networking one because I don't set my house as a network. It is only really to connect to the internet wirelessly from my room or where ever my laptop should be. I would really like something that is bitorrent friendly. I have read a lot of brands don't work right with bitorrent traffic.

Thanks in advance for any help.

So your problem is intermittent dropout (turning red) or tracker icons? That is nothing to worry about if they come back. It can be due to overloaded upload, and as long as you keep seeing peers with the "I" flag under the Peers tab it means nothing has changed at your end. Tracker timeout is annoying yes, but once you are connected to peers it shouldn't matter much unless you NEED to connect to different peers to get more availability. I regularly connect and stay connected to optonline.net peers. Btw, I love your guys' upload speed potential :D

It is pretty sweet. But i now have more information. MY moms desktop is wired. I downloaded some stuff on hers last night. I just checked and she will still show up connectable utorrent port checker still. I then started a new download and the tracker is still reporting her computer as being connectable. So the problem seems to be with a wireless connection. Also, her computer has norton 2007, i just use windows firewall which is configured to let all utorrent traffic. I dont understand this at all. I dont like that i have to reset everything(utorrent port, router port forward, etc.) if i want to start a new torrent after utorrent has already been running.

EDIT: i found an an to my problem it looks like. You can view it here. Everything seems to be working fine. Even though utorrent port checker says im not connectable every tracker says that i am and even after i start a new torrent while utorrent has already been running.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/alkillyou10/torrent.jpg

Archived