Limited Download, Nearly no upload

Nightmares1080

Problem, my download from torrent's cannot exceed 25.0 kb/s and uploads cannot exceed 5.0 kb/s or so

i apologize in advance if this seems cluttered, i couldn't bold the questions.

i also thank you in advance for any thing you suggest.

INFORMATION WE MIGHT NEED IF NOTHING ELSE HELPS

* EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed above

I did all that was listed above, and i went through the setup guide

* Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

Green Check

* What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 64014 on 207.118.39.236...

OK! Port 64014 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

* What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

UL limit 22 kb/s UL slots 3

connections 70 connections(global) 170

max active torrents 2 max active downloads 1

* What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent)

net.max_halfopen=8

* Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Xp service pack 2

* Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

McAfee virus protection, Windows Firewall, adware spybot s&d

* Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

Router:Linksys befsr41 ver. 4 Modem: Westell wirespeed c90-36r516-01

<b> * ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used</b>

Centurytel, USA Washington

* Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload. Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection. When you select a testing mirror, use the ones that are geographically closest to you.

764 download and 260 or so upload from speedtest.ned

Notes: this problem has not occured forever, when i first used torrent programs i would get around 50kb/s dl and like10 kb/s upload, i switched to utorrent, and really liked it it even increased my speed to around 64 kb/s avg download and up to 13 kb/s upload but recently, i would say within the last two months, probably late november, i just could not get above 25 kb/s download and my upload never gets over 5 kb/s but usually stays around 2.5 or less kb/s i have not to my knowledge changed any of my settings

something i might believe is that i had downloaded too much so my isp limited my download but then if i download without a torrent such as revconnect or just a file from firefox i can reach the norm of 50-80 kb/s thinking of it now i haven't seen the 80 k/s its either 50 or 25...

the torrents i have been downloading have been from multiple sites not just one so i doubt its a site problem.

So far, i have been running the open office windows 2.3.1 torrent for apprx. 3 min 30 seconds downloaded 4.9 MB download speed 25.9kb/s avg 22.5kb/s uploaded 64.0 kb upload speed 1.6kb/s avg. 0.3kb/s

i have seen spikes of up to 26.5kb/s download and 2kb/s upload i will see if i get any higher at a later time(after the torrent has run for longer)

*edit*

ok its been running for 15 minutes and the max i have seen is 26.8 kb/s (22.5 avg.)

and upload at the moment is 0.0 kb/s with an avg of 0.3 still

i will re-edit after thirty minutes then close the torrent.

*edit#2*

ok little more than the 30 minute mark

45 mins the max i saw was 27.6 (22.7 avg) for download

0.1kb/s upload (0.1 avg)

wasted 5.01 MB( 0 hashfails)

46 mins 41 seconds

62.4 MB downloaded 352 KB uploaded

69 of 189 seeds (187 in swarn)

1 of 155 peers (16 in swarm)

on a torrent that is seeding at the moment i can see around upload 5kb/s max 2.2 kb/s avg upload and ive been seeding it for 2 days 8 hours

I vote for ISP interference as well, if you are not seeing "download limited" in the lower-left of the status bar. Doubly so if you are not manually setting any limits per-torrent.

Yea with your theoretical maximums of 96 KiBps down and 32 KiBps up, especially not seeing anywhere near those on the OOo torrent. Could I ask for an average during of about a 5 minute run from http://www.slackware.com/torrents/ . . . If that also peaks at a sustained 25 KiBps you may have to ask your ISP whether they have changed your subscribed speed :/ Also if this is only cyclical (daily / hourly note that it can be configured in the Ctrl-P -> Scheduler to bypass any misunderstanding between uT and your ISP :P)

i am starting the slackware torrent, i have tried the forcing and such of the encryption still nothing i will try disabling legacy inc. connections and to jewelisheaven i believe if i am being throttled then it is not cyclical seeing as i can leave a torrent on for two days and get an average upload of 2.2 kb/s

*edit*

Yes the slackware torrent is also being reduced to 25 kb/s down and insignificant up

Solutions to being throttled? get a new ISP?

maybe but the only one around is Comcast yay or nay

You are screwed :/ I feel your pain. It is possible you can get better speeds at off-peak times or during weekends only. :( But other than changing ISPs or getting an honest technician / help desk support personnel person verifying your internet experience is being crippled due to your choice of using a filesharing program "and is therefore limited to 25 KiBps" during XX hours X days a week I don't know what to tell you.

Well I do know and appreciate the effort you went through to explain your problem fully. :D

They still throttle lots of people. I'm not sure why, but some people seem to have been *un*throttled recently (I think?). I doubt it's a permanent thing, though. I think you might be SOL for the moment.

If you're brave enough, you can try the current 1.8 alpha build in the Announcements forum to see if it can get around the throttling (there have been some changes to bypass some cases of throttling).

Archived