Authentication: Firefox + Corporate Firewall

jvarn

I have Web UI running at home with DynDNS and the port forwarded correctly and working. I can successfully connect from other locations, but I want to be able to control it from the office.

I think my problem is related to my connecting from a domain-based network through a corporate firewall and is *not restricted to utorrent web ui*. It is a firefox only problem that occurs when entering a username and password in a popup authentication like you get with web ui. It connects to the computer running web ui successfully, and requests the password, but the authentication prompt repeatedly pops up again. I face the same problem when logging into CPanel on my website; however, in that scenario, I simply hit Esc and it instead presents me with a web page based username/password prompt.

Under IE, authentication from a popup un/pw box is successful but of course web ui does not support IE.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy.

? Have you tried DIRECTLY entering http://USER:PASS@HOSTNAME:PORT/gui/

That is the complete and correct URL for no pop-ups.

I have only experienced the multiple-popups when (even in the logger tab for the main UI) there is no password being sent. (You may want to enable Verbose and Errors to help diagnose the problem, or try ut 1.8 which now allows granular control of specified and viewable logger messages.

Well, it nearly worked: it popped up a message saying you are about to log in to example.com with the username johnsmith. OK

But then it seems to forget, and pops up the same username / password prompt as before.

Hm. Not sure I want to run alpha software.

Any other ideas?

Perhaps I'll file a bug report on Mozilla.

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem, except mine happens in ie7 and firefox, the auth box just keeps re-appearing! If i try to connect using ie6 it will accept my password and login successfully giving the 'web browser not supported' error. I can't work out why it won't accept the password!

Any more suggestions?!

I'm pretty sure the webui doesn't require cookies. Once a request with http auth is successful a browser will keep sending the auth along in the header whenever requesting a page from the same base path. In short it'll 'log in' every time you click a link.

If it keeps asking you for a username or password this probably means that:

You filled in the wrong username or password.

The corporate firewall strips auth headers from outgoing requests. (CPanel probably provides a session/cookie based login if http auth doesn't work. The webui does not have this function.)

The browser doesn't keep sending the auth header along for some reason. (Maybe the browser at your office has a setting somewhere)

Those are the issues I can come up with at least.

Archived