I need advice

lindenhaven

I have tried everything I can think of, and still uTorrent says DHT: waiting to login, and my port forwarding won't work. (followed every instruction, and tried several times, even asked for help here and have read through the answers to similar problems)

I really liked uTorrent..

Is it possible that other programs like Azureus will let me download torrents or shall I just give up?

yea at least I think I have. Been trying stuff for a couple of days, even tried Azureus but cant download there either (and I dont like Azureus compared to uTorrent).

I think it may be something I do wrong with the configurations in the router. I would have given up long ago if it wasnt for the fact that I have been using uTorrent with high speed for almost a year, and I didnt change anything, it just stopped working.

I posted some info on another thread (DHT:waiting to log in).

Is it possible that something has changed where I live? Like the Internet company updating stuff in the router?

I'm pretty sure i dont hava a firewall. I used the "search" function and it found nothing called firewall. There's not even a firewall-icon in the control panel. And i checked the internet connection - advanced. that firewall wasn't enabled.

Here's some info:

"I have now done my best to follow all the steps in the uTorrent-guide, and the uTorrent DHT troubleshooting. Still nothing happens. (I downloaded the newest version before I started). Now I get a yellow sign at the bottom, but everything else is the same.

In my router it now says:

Virtual Server Configuration

(Use the following form to add special port that you want to be opened for your special application)

Information

ID - Public Port (From) - Public Port (To) Port - Type - Map To - Host IP Address - Private Port

1 50912 50912 TCP ---> 10.0.0.200 *

On the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) it says:

IP address - 10.0.0.200

Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 10.0.0.254

Preferred DNS-server - 10.0.0.254

Alternate DNS-server - (I have left this blank because I don't find the numbers when I check ipconfig /all on my pc.

In the uTorrent DHT Troubleshooting it says "UDP Traffic needs to be allowed in firewalls for DHT to function."

I have Windows XP with no firewall. But my router gives me options to change stuff under "firewall" (bridge filtering, Packet filtering, intrusion detection, block WAN request, URL blocking).

PS I have tried different ways of forwarding my port, but uTorrent still says it's not open.."

I have forgot to mention that i have 2 computers connected to 1 router.

If you forward ports to both computers, did you make sure they're not the same ports being forwarded to each of them?

When you forwarded your port, did you also set a static LAN IP up for your computer outside of the router's DHCP range?

Can you grab Pocess Explorer from sysinternals.com, run it, File > Save, then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here?

Which are you looking for Ultima, just the process list or the DLL list for utorrent?

sysinternals now redirects to microsoft, so you will need to go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx and download the zip. unzip it, open procexp.exe, press Ctrl-L and then Ctrl-D to show the dll mode for whatever process you click. if you click the utorrent.exe then press Ctrl-A it will save the list to paste here. To just save the process list tree open the EXE then Ctrl-A and paste it below.

Here is what i got from processexplorer:

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System Idle Process 0 92.16

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a 1.96 Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4 0.98

smss.exe 608 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 672 1.96 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 696 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 744 0.98 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 924 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 988 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1064 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1076 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

spoolsv.exe 1264 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

lsass.exe 756 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

explorer.exe 1896 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

ctfmon.exe 208 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation

TICIcon.exe 276 TICIcon.exe E-Color, Inc.

IEXPLORE.EXE 1724 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

IEXPLORE.EXE 120 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

uTorrent.exe 656 0.98

IEXPLORE.EXE 1800 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

procexp.exe 564 0.98 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

I reinstalled and went through all the steps again before I got ran the processthing.

This is what I did:

1. First I download uTorrent. Port: 40588.

It says it's closed. DHT:waiting to login.

2. I set my speed connections after doing several speed tests. It's above 300, but I set it to xx/256 for now.

3. I enable encryption and uncheck "enable UPnP port mapping".

4. I check my network connections. I have 3 connections listed: 1394 connection (enabled bridged), bridge connection (enabled) and local area connection (enabled bridged). I use the one called bridge. At the moment it's the only one where it's possible to access the properties of the Internetprotocol) When i check the properties for Internet protocol i see that both obtain automatic IP address and DNS servers are checked.

5. Then I run ipconfig /all and write down the following info:

IP address: 10.0.0.139

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 10.0.0.254

DHCP server: 10.0.0.254

DNS servers: 10.0.0.254

6. I right click the yellow sign in the bottom of uTorrent and i see that enable scheduler is not checked. Enable DHT is checked.

7. I check the port again and it says: Error! Port 40588 does not appear to be open. It also says please be sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall bla bla. I dont have any of those. "those of you with IPfilter.dat bla bla." I dont know what that is, so I go to port forward.com

8. Since my port is not forwarded i follow the steps for my TOPCOM Xplorer 871BT router.

9. I need a static IP. Ultima wrote: "When you forwarded your port, did you also set a static LAN IP up for your computer outside of the router's DHCP range?". That means I have to find my router's DHCP range. I log into my router, click configuration, then LAN. This is what I see:

IP address: 10.0.0.254

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP server: enabled

DHCP address pool selection: user defined

User Defined Start Address: 10.0.0.100

User Defined End Address: 10.0.0.200

DHCP Gateway Selection: Automatic

DHCP Relay: disabled

10. I change the User Defined End Address to 10.0.0.198

11. I go to Network connections on my pc, open the connection enter the following to set up a static IP outside the DHCP range:

IP address: 10.0.0.199

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 10.0.0.254

DNS servers: 10.0.0.254

Alternative DNS: I cant find that when I run ipconfig /all so I leave it blank.

12. I log into my router to open the port.

Virtual Server Configuration

(Use the following form to add special port that you want to be opened for your special application)

Information

ID - Public Port (From) - Public Port (To) Port - Type - Map To - Host IP Address - Private Port

1 40588 40588 TCP ---> 10.0.0.199 *

2 40588 40588 UDP ---> 10.0.0.199 *

(I have tried both with and without ID nr 2).

13. I download a torrent for Open office, because it was recomended by DreadWingKnight. Also tried others. Also deleted the dht.dat and dht.dat.old files in %appdata%\uTorrent.

During the whole process I have only used this pc, the other one is shut down. The other one does not have uTorrent or any other client installed, and I have not opened any ports for it or given it a static IP.

14. VOILA! nothing downloads, DHT:waiting to log in. yellow sign. Error port is not open.

Now, it's obvious I'm missing something. But I'm not giving up now. I refuse to accept that I can't use torrents anymore. It's so ****ing annoying. My viking ancestors are calling upon me to go berserk on the irritating little ugly router. But I'm calm for now.. :D

Archived