Local peers from the internet?

aylem

On 1.7 (and onward) uT has a heuristic algorithm and performs multicast packets which determine if peers are (likely) within a local range for your area or ISP. It's ideally suited for places (like south-east asia) which restrict outsiders highly, but doesn't really care what happens inside it's POP since it likely doesn't pay for any bandwidth used in its sphere of influence.

Switeck, the L flag in the peers tab means the peer was discovered using multicast, so if you disable local discovery you won't see any new peers with the L flag added. However, a peer is considered local either if it's discovered this way, OR it's on the same private network, OR on the loopback network. In practice you're probably not going to see local peers without discovery enabled though, unless you enter them manually or run a local tracker or employ some other unusual scheme. The local peer settings like rate limiting apply to local peers according this definition, not peers flying the L flag in the tab. This is a subtle but important distinction.

"The local peer settings like rate limiting apply to local peers according this definition, not peers flying the L flag in the tab. This is a subtle but important distinction."

So peers can qualify as local with LPD disabled, and IF SO you will need to enable the limiting of local peers even if it doesn't show the user any such indication of that aside from the speed tooltip?

Edit: Are there any other ways of identifying "Local Peers" or are the only places the ability is shown as the L: prefix in the bandwidth usage or as "L" flag under Peers tab?

So in 1.7.5 peers in the same subnet (regardless whether that subnet is private) and peers discovered through Multicast are considered local and thus not limited (unless the limit_local_peers option is set to true). And only peers found through Multicast are marked thus in the peers tab.

And in 1.8 only peer discovered through Multicast are considered Local and marked thus in the peers tab.

Is this correct?

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I thought, but ...

when I use 2 µTs in my lan the speed between them hardly reach 150kB/s (on a 100MB lan)? local limit isn't set. no other traffic.

I use a µT1600 and a µT1750

The speed from 175 to 160: 130kB

The speed from 160 to 175: 70kB

Just sharing a file between those two.

While I can max out my dsl (700kB/s) with external clients without a problem.

Any idea/hint

Archived