[request] SSL

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I operate an SSL tracker with a large userbase... and it would be my intentions to allow only the use of uTorrent client as I am incredibly impressed by it.

Can you possibly give some indication of SSL implementation in the future? Alot of my users are pushing for it. I am hoping to get some sort of idea of what the chances are that this will actually happen and possibly when.

Thanks for your time.

SSL support would add a large volume of users to your base as a lot of users are only prevented from using uTorrent due to lack of SSL.

After testing many Bit torrent clients, i truly believe uTorrent is one of the most fully featured, yet efficient BT clients currently available.

Credit to the team.

The answer isn't no, but because of the complexity of SSL/TLS (and the fact that we don't want to use OpenSSL), it might not happen for a while, if at all.

Why not use OpenSSL? I understand that the libraries for OpenSSL are probably bigger as uTorrent itself, but implementing SSL/TLS on your own (e.g. by Ludde directly in uTorrent) seems an almost impossible task. It probably more complex as uTorrent is now.

But, what about a middle way. E.g. build in support for OpenSSL, but don't distribute it or turn it on by default and allow people to add support in the form of a dll (like emule can use mediainfo.dll) + an advanced setting. That way, uTorrent would stay about as light as it is today, while at the same time people can choose to add SSL/TLS support.

IMHO SSL/TLS support is an absolute must

Because OpenSSL is huge and we don't want to use or support it in any fashion. ludde doesn't believe in making someone use 1.2MB of DLLs just for some feature.

That being said, we're using wininet.dll (part of Windows) for SSL support now.

Now shut up and test.

http://www.utorrent.com/download/beta/utorrent-1.5.1-beta-build-458.exe

Does that link work for anyone else?

Archived