very very slow downloads

deanouk123

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, what speed does uT report when downloading from either http://www.slackware.com/torrents/ OR http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ . I would bet those download faster, which lays blame on the swarms you are trying to download from. To be able to download optimally from swarms you need to make sure your UPLOAD settings are adequate for your line. If after going through the "Setup Guide" you have the green check that means you no longer have to worry about firewalling or firewalled peers. You will be able to connect to unfirewalled peers and firewalled peers will be able to connect to you. It also means you can start tuning your settings from the Speed Guide for Ctrl-P -> Queueing and Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent. You really don't need more than 20 connected peers per torrent on your linespeed. Also anywhere between 5 and 8 TOTAL upload slots (split between active torrents) is in the acceptable range, though I would personally go more towards 5-4. That allows you to have up to 4 torrents running with ONE upload slot, or at minimum 1 torrent with 4 upload slots running concurrently.

thanks for them settings mate one of my downloads is now going at 75.0 kb/s but dont know how long that will last for hahahaha..

the green light is on at the bottem of the page now but the only thing is i tryed to see if the port was open and its saying

Checking port 38919 on 213.249.247.252...

Error! Port 38919 does not appear to be open.

iam running off a zoom x6 modem router

and it is wireless

does this info mean anything to you to help me open this port at all???

THANKS FOR THE OTHER INFO....

If the icon is green and you see incoming peers ("I" flag under Peers tab) then the port checker is just wrong. That's not unheard of :P As far as your download :D :D The next question is, are you uploading consistently (to keep you downloading that fast)? Changing the Speed tab to upload only and scaling back to 5 or 30 seconds will help you see if you are fully utilizing your upload. Understanding that tit-for-tat on swarms means even if you are disadvantaged (a 8:1 ratio for up to down in my case) for uploading, as long as you consistently put out pieces to other peers you won't be penalized for such an asynchronous linespeed.

OK I'll break down what I said before: (I tend to get longwinded)

If the icon is green and you see incoming peers ("I" flag under Peers tab) then the port checker is just wrong. That's not unheard of.

^\__________ means click on your downloading torrent click over to the Peers tab. If you enable the "Flags" column and you see "I" anywhere, you don't have to worry about the built-in port checker saying you are closed. BOTH the peers information AND your network status icon say otherwise.

The next question is, are you uploading consistently (to keep you downloading that fast)? Changing the Speed tab to upload only and scaling back to 5 or 30 seconds will help you see if you are fully utilizing your upload.

^\_____ means now that you know you CAN download faster, the best way to ensure that KEEPS happening is to make sure you are uploading the best you can. If you click the "Speed" tab and change the first drop-down to "UPLOAD" and then the second drop-down to "5 seconds" you see how the networking information spreads out. It no longer shows 2 minutes of data, but 10 instead. Changing the drop-down to "30 seconds" increases that further to 1 hour of uploading statistics. What you should see if you are uploading consistently on peer heavy swarms (NOT OOo or slackware) is a relatively straight line just below the bright red bandwidth limit uT puts on your upload. If you see lots of dips and "valleys" in the graph you should think about increasing upload slots under Ctrl-P -> Queueing.

Understanding that tit-for-tat on swarms means even if you are disadvantaged (a 8:1 ratio for up to down in my case) for uploading, as long as you consistently put out pieces to other peers you won't be penalized for such an asynchronous linespeed.

^\_______ means that is how bittorrent works. You should generally only be able to download as fast as you can upload. However you can see download speeds in excess of 4:1 download-favoured due to other peers GIVING YOU (read as their upload, your download) much of their bandwidth. As long as you keep uploading on that torrent and the peers you are connected to still see you uploading near your maximum speed (straight line) they will continue to send you data.

Does that help?

Well your theoretical maximums according to the speedtests are 160 KiBps down and 25KiBps up.

If your ISP uses automated means to shape filesharing (read as: bittorrent) traffic it sounds like you may only get 75KiBps maximum. I would double check this regularly (a 2-5 minute test whenever you want to chart data is sufficient) during weekdays weekends and on and off-hours.

How is your upload during this downloading. If you cannot get near 20 KiBps upload sustained I would also recommend reducing your settings further and turning off Local Peer Discovery and DHT under Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent, AND go to Peers tab and right click, uncheck "resolve IPs to hostname". If you prefer those settings, making sure to limit concurrent connections (under 20 per torrent AND multiply that by # of torrents for total connections) may help further. :/ It is unfortunate many ISPs don't even alert users to limitations on their service... Virgin finally stopped advertising "unlimited" plans in the UK because they were taken to court and lost.

Also continuing to go through relevant steps from Ultima's guide may help you further. If you need help or further explanation, posting here is a good idea :D

thanks and i knew my download speed wouldnt last long its gone down to 9.8 kb/s now.ive tryed downloading slackware and that goes to 68.0 kb/s now so i carnt see what the problem is can anyone give me the full settings as ive tryed everthing..

i did another speed test and results were.......

download 2882 kb/s

upload 221 kb/s

the green status light somtimes comes on but its not on for long then goes back off...

many thanks to all you who have helped me so far

hi all

i started off with no port open and did a speed test of which the results were

download 2882 kb/s

upload 221 kb/s

i tryed running slackware and the download speed maxed out at 40.0 kb/s (which i think isnt very good)

then i went to the help page on utorrent and followed the guides to open the port which i did so now the icon at the bottom of the page is now green.and saying network ok and your networking is working like it should.

i rang my isp karoo and they said to stop my downloads and they tested my connection and said i should be downloading at about 100 kb/s so it might be my settings on utorrent.

iam trying to download a film now and my speed is still only hitting out at download 31.0 kb/s..and upload 7.1 kb/s...with 10 seeders and 4peers..

my connection type ive put to xx/192k but not sure if my other settings are correct..

just done another speed test and results were

download 830 kb/s

upload 100 kb/s

any help please

my port is still open

ADD ON my download speed is now 21.4 kb/s and up load is at 1.4kb/s...

thanks for looking

Download speed on a torrent is often really random...but that you're not sustaining your set upload speed max has me worried. Then again, with only 4 peers on that torrent you're on...that may be a problem too. (Nobody to upload to if all 4 peers have everything you have.)

so what do you suggest i should do please?when i rang my isp they ask my to download a file from there site and tell them what speed it was downloading at and that said 5667KB/s and they said that was a good speed then they said my connection speed is around 6.9mb....which iam supposed to be on a 8mb...would i need to change the settings on option prefrences????

ADD ON

jst to let you know about my settings

speed guide xx192k

connection

globel bandwidth limiting (up load) = 17

maximum download rate(download) = 1

bittorrent

global maximum number of connections = 90

maximum number of connected peers per torrent = 55

number of upload slots per torrent = 3

queueing

maximum number of active torrents (upload or download) = 1

maximum number of active downloads = 1

does this help any1 in any way?dont know if my setting are right or not thats why ive just put them here so some1 might have some sort of idea were iam going wrong.......

3 slots and 55 connections per torrent seem good for your download. :) As stated previously many ISPs have automated methods of shaping traffic especially traffic it identifies as bittorrent protocol traffic. I'm glad to see you have been able to become unfirewalled :D.

Here, can you test the torrent http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ for 2-5 minutes. It will tell you whether your ISP does shape bittorrent traffic as opposed to HTTP traffic (the 6 Mbit down you experienced). As an alternative http://www.slackware.com/torrents/ can also be used if they use an Ip-based filtering approach to their shaping of traffic from the USA.

As Switeck said the limited number of peers to UPLOAD to on that torrent may be the problem. If you right click on the Peers tab column headers (IP, Port, Client, etc) and add "relevance" do the ones UNDER 100% show up as 0.0% relevance?

How did the testing on the 1.8 µTorrent version work comparing speeds with 1.7.5?

thanks

the speeds on utorrent 1.8 was just the same so didnt make a difference to be honest and as for

right click on the Peers tab column headers (IP, Port, Client, etc) and add "relevance"

ive done that????

and as for slackware is running at 42.7 kb/s is that any good??

now i have opened my port could you if possible what settings i need to put in (options..prefrences.. ect)coz iam sure thats whats wrong with my speed well thats the only thing i can think of now..

ADDED ON: my download is now at

down speed 1.0kb/s

up speed 2.0kb/s

ITS DRIVING ME MAD

all i want is a good speed :(=(

If you are forwarded correctly and you are connecting to peers, the upload is indicative of another problem.

The slackware and openoffice torrents are for testing of changed settings/ISP parameters.

If you aren't able to upload consistently it is possible the torrent you are on is bottlenecked. If you check the availability (general tab on 1.7, transfer tab on 1.8) is it the same as your local downloaded availability?

As you see from your speedtest result the upload is doubly what it should be.. unless that picture was from a time when you KNOW your ISP limits your traffic even more.

For your torrent you have 87.8% and the availability is 11.991, hmm are you connecting to both peers and seeds (Peers X of Y connected (Z in swarm) : *repeat for seeds*)?

only me again

still having trouble ive got 1 download going at the min and the top speed its hitting is

10.6kb/s i just dont know what to do anymore if any one can give me a step by step guide for my settings

downloads

connection

bitTorrent

queueing

please iam pulling my hair out :=(

Archived