very very slow downloads

deanouk123

If you are uploading at or near your max, it is probably a case of the peers you are connecting to not sharing their fair share.

How many peers do you see on the "Peers" tab, with "U" and "D", also "S" and "K"... a screenshot (Alt-Print Screen) would help more actually. Please censor personal information. The usual ratio of download to upload is 4:1 with 10:1 only experienced on individual per peer per upload slot bandwidth of 10KiBps

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K well, that is either proof you are trying to overload the connection and/or the torrents themselves have problems with the swarm. You have 10 active torrents, but xx/256 only allows 2. Could you do the same alt-print screen for your Speed Guide (Ctrl-G) please?

ooh! Transmission hit 1.0 and their Clutch "webui" is cool.

now what do i have to do mate?is the settings right or do i need to make changes to them or do you need more pics or info??you are been a great help thanks[

just done another speed test just that you might be able to tell me what settings i need to put in dont know if speed test helps you in anyway?

results.......

URL=http://www.speedtest.net]219263007.png

just checking my downloads now and iv got 2 on the go and ones only hitting 11.8 kb/s and other isnt even starting...

screen shot of download....

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1296/26947107dd2.jpg

any one have an idea what settings i need to put in please just to see if my speeds get any faster and this is really doing my headin now i just carnt figure out what the problem is....i have tryed everything (i think)

my isp says my connection is upto 8mb but its only going at about 5mb could anyone give me any settings please to make my speed faster as my downloads are just getting worst and its getting very annoying now,the only thing i can think of now is my settings i think unless you can help me any more then that...as you can see i have put my speed test results up (above)..

i have been told on speed guide i shouldnt go no higher then xx/192k is this correct?

this is my current screen shot with my downloads and my speed guide can any1 please help me in any way its getting me mad and stressed out

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2770/61797942av4.jpg

ive been sat here now for about 7hours trying to figure this out and STILL HAVNT got any were please help me please...

iam guesing u all have had enough of my questions now???thanks 4 ur help :=(

morning all...

can any1 help me then???its cracking me up i just carnt seem to figur it out PLEASE help???

There really wasn't a need to start a new thread. I can understand your frustration of not being able to see the same speeds all the time, but that is usually dependent upon swarm factors. If you are currently uploading at your maximum set speed consistently (change Speed tab scale to 30 seconds) there is nothing else you can do. If your ISP employs traffic shaping on torrent traffic the current stable may be one step behind, and in that case a test out of an encapsulated 1.8 pre-beta line may be of some help. But the MAIN POINT is there is no way to get you to download consistently near 500 KiBps in uT. Your first problem would probably be peers without that kind of upload, secondly they probably wouldn't dedicate their whole connection to you, and thirdly having enough peers in the swarm with enough shared upload to give you those kinds of speeds consistently.

Please note: your ISP says you get "up to 8 Mbit down"... that does not mean it will always be so and in many cases it will probably be less than half of that depending upon their rollout and market penetration in your area.

ok but the thing is i only download at tops of 15.0kb/s so i know its my settings

ok fine if u say icarnt do any thing then fine ill try my self thanks for trying and i thought people were here to do the best 4 others all i wanted was the right settings in right boxes thats all.......:(=(

can you tell me if upload bar is ment to look like this please

89145844tx5.th.jpg

and this is my download do any of these seem righ? (or wrong)

69719312cw7.th.jpg

well iam guessing now that everyone has given up on helping me then??????there must be sum1 out there who can sort this 4 me...come on people....

deanouk123, ALL THE NEW POSTS YOU MAKE OUTSIDE THIS THREAD WILL SPONTANEOUSLY DISAPPEAR!

I have enough trouble reading through all the new posts as it is, without someone adding to the noise levels. :(

It's a horrible insult to us who are trying to help to have you ignore our suggestions and demand help from others.

In your pictures, I see 2 torrents 'downloading' (because 1 is definitely "dead" at 71.1% according to availability)...but on the left side of the picture it says you have 14 ACTIVE torrents!

There's where all your bandwidth is going...you've got a lot of still-active seeding torrents dividing your limited upload speed too many ways to keep your upload speed on the remaining useful download high.

The "dead" unfinished torrent needs to have its upload slots limited to 1 and set to low priority. ...maybe even set its upload speed to only 1 KiloBYTE/sec. Or even stopped altogether, as it's NOT going to finish unless a seed comes back. And I wouldn't expect one. :(

Find your finished torrents that report seeds AND you have the highest ratio on...and stop them at least for now.

With only 25 KiloBYTES/sec total upload speed, you're only able to run about 4 torrents effectively -- and then ONLY if you have upload slots set to 3 or less!

ok ive done all that but nothing has seem to change my download speeds are still going slow...what the hell am i doing that so wrong becouse i must be doing something wrong..but the thing is what?to make it any easyer for you to help whould you need any screen shots anymore info or just anything????

iam now set up properly i think bu the last thing is i carnt seem to find any dvds and cds that have more seeders then peers i have tryed all the torrents in the search box in utorrent....any ideas onthis one at all???

i dont know what ive done but my downloads are now running at around 360kb/s but alot of the time thats drops is that normal and it goes down to about 25.0kb/s

but i think iam nearly there now about time dont you think???

HI Jewelishheaven, looking at the forums you are doing a good deed and very genuine. This knd of stuff is all new to me but I thought you may be able to help me if my speed is normal.

I am using utorrent 1.7.5.

My internet is DSL, and doing several online speed test my results are (download 256kpbs) and (upload 198kpbs). I had input xx/198k on connection type, is this correct? I usually download torrents with lots of seeds and leachers. My downloading speed is an average of 20 to 27kB/s and upload speed of 10 to 15kB/s. The average time to finich a file that is 700mb is 7 hours without internet browsing. Is this normal and am I doing ok. If you or others in this forum have comments or suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Well I would say if you are getting this consistently on your downloads you are working near your maximum. I'm just going to assume you mean xx/192 ;) in your Speed Guide settings. Converting units from kbps to KiBps (what uT uses) 256 -> 32 and 192 -> 24 , so you should be seeing around 26 KiBps sustained download and ~ 20 KiBps sustained upload. You may find you get nearer to those figures by manually restricting the Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent features (as suggested in the 2nd post of the How-To), lowering those figures even more to say 20 per torrent and 25 global, and unchecking "resolve IP" under the Peers tab.

Thanks for the support, but you really should show your support in the official appreciation thread for the dedicated support and development staff who have been and continue to work for the users :D

Did you have any other questions?

Hi Jewelisheaven

I have taking alot of interests with file sharing since I was introduced last month. I had first used Bitlord until in recent I went with utorrent becasue it has more resources about the program and torrents.

I have done some reading about torrents/bandwidth and I am still not sure the amount of bandwidth I am using. When I download a torrent and when the file is finished I often leave it to seed.

I have been logging my bandwidth usage on a daily basis from my internet providor and some days I have no usage and other days I have 1gb used when I downloaded a 700mb file. So what happened to the days I downloaded files and it is not being logged by my internet providor? Overall, I am trying to managed bandwidth cost.

Cheers.

First question: Does your ISP separate UP and DOWNloads? Second relates to your unused days... I have no clue, the ISP probably pings some proprietary mechanism in the modem they provide you, or they may ping your connection to their trunk, I don't know.

uT keeps track of bandwidth used the current session (since restart) in the bandwidth portion of the status bar (under T:) and TOTAL aggregate usage in that uT since initialization available via Alt-H-S. If you have a quota you are trying to stay under the best bet is to calculate hours you will download and figure in the bandwidth usage to set an appropriate limit. A search for "hughesnet" will pull up some of my calculations on the matter.

Also I hope you're aware of the columns in uT for "Downloaded" and "Uploaded"... those are torent specific, and as such don't include other overhead such as DHT or PEX information and local peer discovery, or DNS requests when you have "Resolve IPs" enabled under the Peers tab. Any other questions?

710 kb/s download

132 kb/s upload

45 ms latency

Not enable DHT

Not enable DHT (for new torrents)

Enable Local Peer Discovery

Not enable Ask Tracker for scrape information

Enable Peer Exchange

Not enable Limit local peer bandwith

Global maximum number of connections: 25

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 10

Number of upload slots per torrent: 1

Enable Usa additional uplaod slots if upload speed < 90%

Protocol Encryption

Enabled Outgoing

Enabled Allow incoming legacy connections

Queueing

Maximum number of active torrents: 20

Maximum of active downloads: 10

Limit the upload rate to: 90KB/s

You got bitten by the units bug :P xx/128 is the setting you want, which equates to ~ 12% of the maximum you set ;) Just that change alone should give you more consistent upload and allow you to keep downloads higher. You should also refrain from NO MORE than 3 concurrent downloads, and even that is being restrictive. The default settings for xx/128 is 1 torrent, 3 upload slots. You can change to 3 torrents, with 1 upload slot, but be advised you will get SK peers alot (snubbed or choked) since you're only putting out 1 piece to 1 peer every minute. With those other features disabled though you are definitely saving on download and upload quota.

Hi Jewelisheaven,

My internet package offers me per month up to download speed 256kbps and uplaod speed 128kbps with 10GB usage. I guess what I am trying to say is how much bandwidth I am using downloading torrents. Just to give an example, I have been downloading a 700mb file everyday for a week, once the file is loaded I leave it to seed for about a day. The next week I do the same but my internet account usage is different. The first week usage was 7GB and the other week is 3GB. Aswell I only use this puter for torrents. Perhaps I am throttling?

Ps: I am just going to leave my speed setting the way it is at being consistant. I am the kind of guy that believes in "don't fix it when it's not broken" Also would I consider other source than Utorrent? No because it works like my Volvo 240!!!!! By the way, why the name Jewelisheaven?

Cheers Pal.

OK like I said you can tell uT usage with the status bar. It shows you the total UP and DOWN for that session. I would like to ask, what kind of fees do you pay for overage? Because if you've used 7 GB in week 1 and 3 GB already in week 2 you are at your limit for the month. Also 256Kbps multiplies to a daily total of 2700 MiB, so if you are indeed downloading ~ 32 KiBps (according to utorrent) 24/7 you will hit your quota within 4 days.

Edit: As a way to keep yourself downloading well into the month, perhaps you can elaborate a bit on the terms for your plan, or a page where your plan(s) are located online... The scheduler is invaluable. It allows you to 1) set times uT will download and not download AND 2) times for a secondary "limited mode" with alternative download/upload limits .

710 kb/s download

132 kb/s upload

45 ms latency

Not enable DHT

Not enable DHT (for new torrents)

Enable Local Peer Discovery

Not enable Ask Tracker for scrape information

Enable Peer Exchange

Not enable Limit local peer bandwith

Global maximum number of connections: 40

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 35

Number of upload slots per torrent: 2

Enable Usa additional uplaod slots if upload speed < 90%

Protocol Encryption

Enabled Outgoing

Enabled Allow incoming legacy connections

Total Downloads : 4

Maximum Downloads: 3

and what does bandwidth allocation mean? Should I stead in on high?

You can turn of Local Peer Discovery for more savings (remember it's aggregate, just like DHT takes 1000 announces to use 1 MiB, you can go through 1 MILLION announces in 1 week). Also I would reduce per torrent if you indeed expect to keep 4 active torrents running. Bandwidth allocation is a semi-automatic way to shape your own connection through uT, prioritizing certain traffic for torrents over others. Note it does not ensure that one torrent will always put out more... as that requires bandwidth limiting on the torrent level, which is discouraged as default. In special circumstances it can work quite well (if you are initial seeding something).

Archived