Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deanouk123

very very slow downloads

If your per-month upload volume is not limited, then there is no reason to stop seeding. In fact, there are very few reasons to stop seeding.

- if there is no peer left on the swarm (though you might still want to periodically check by starting)

- if you've seeded at least (or approximately) 1.0, and the availability for the torrent is at least 2.0 including yourself

You should stop downloading, based upon your figures. You also already may have incurred overages for this month. If this is indeed the case you will want to setup a plan including using the scheduler and more restrictive bandwidth limits to get you through the ENTIRE month for February. However given your penchant for downloading may I suggest an upgrade to your plan before then... I figure you are an ozzie and as such are charged an arm and a leg for your service, but 700 MB per day download is at least 20 GB in a month. You may also want to check unique plans the ISP offers, such as a higher $AUD plan for inclusive "free download" time per day.

Howdy Jewelisheaven!

I am a canadian Eh....and I love my hockey and beer! Yes you are right I have exceeded my plan for this month and probably go with a different plan with more gb usage. Anyways I have been downloading alot of files as trail and error but it's been educational. It is nice to know my speed is consistant and thanks for your help. I have visited alot of forums and your input is the most helpful and I am sure others will see the same. Is there a time of day for free downloads? That would be cool!!!

Cheers!

OOH! canucks are worse than ozzies :P Yea like I suggested check out your ISPs plans for "free download" time. Since you have time (over half the month) to check out your download options... look at your rough usage.. REMEMBER streaming video sites such as youtube make it a bit harder to gauge your download, whereas HTTP FTP and BitTorrent downloads are generally static.. and figure out what kind of stuff and how much you plan to be downloading. With the extra options disabled I THINK it comes out to something like 2% overhead (20 MB per 1000 MB downloaded)-- I have forgotten the figures by heart. As for your uploads, as Ultima says there is no need to stop uploading, unless you wish to, if it is free. I must say I think maybe the USA needs to get on the quota bandwagon for ANY important or relevant discourse on broadband penetration or problems with the current architecture to make headway. This is especially true in the next year or two while the FCC and Comcast's suit are wearing their way through the court system.

Hi Jewelisheaven,

Aside from this question I have not relating to this forum, I usualy search my torrents on Google or get my torrents from btjunkie. Are WINMX or Rapidseek good search engines and to what benefits?

Cheers mate!

Search engines depend upon what you are looking for. Afaik WINMX is a filesharing client not a search engine and I've never heard of rapidseek.

<rant>Yes I too know of the torrents to be found on google, which is why I find the ... efforts to shut down indexers which do not host torrents or trackers to keep track of peers VERY puzzling. Then again I do come from the school of thought where being logical and rational is preferrable to being idiotic and bought by corporations. When you have a job you do your job, but why the big businesses are trying to hold onto a decaying oligarchical system instead of adapting and growing into the digital age and paying people to ensure that is beyond me.</rant>

Edit for clarity.

uT reports in KiBps. ISPs and speedtests use Kbps... the difference is 8 bits = 1 Byte, so you can get THEORETICALLY ~ 12 KiBps download on 96 Kbps down, but expect 80-90% of that, which is fully within your experienced 10KiBps.

Hi Jewelisheaven,

I havn't been at U'torrent forums for a long time so today I have a question for you and logged in to find you have a new logo and "Banned"? Here I am thinking you were banned from this forum so I was going to start a new thread asking the moderator why you are banned. However I thought well....you can't be banned if you are still generously helping others with your recent posts. Silly me!

Here is my question regarding my speed. I had upgraded my internet connection on a 3.0 meg DSL. My speed test results from Dslreport.com is U2600 and D630.

On Utorrent at speed guide connection type I entered xx/640k. Then on preference>>global bandwidth limiting I changed max upload rate to 75kB/s.

I have already downloaded a few files and found an average download speed at approx. 200 to 250 and my upload is to my max 75. However I did some trail/error and increase my upload to 80 90 100 but it seems to max at 75.

I am hoping my settings are correct but please let me know if I should make any changes.

Cheers and hope all is well.

No, you're not supposed to be modifying the upload rate manually. Leave it at the number suggested by the Speed Guide. If you think the Speed Test was mistaken, then...

Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection. When you select a testing mirror, use the ones that are geographically closest to you.

Additionally if you want to have an ALTERNATE upload rate use the Preferences setting for "alternate upload when not downloading"..... unless you have TESTED the new rate while downloading (i.e.) http://slackware.com/torrents/

When you are uploading near max and you are NOT hitting your upload cap the download will stay your experienced max sustained. IF HOWEVER you are, due to the upload being too high you will notice the sharp decline in downloading ability.

All in all, running each setting for 1-3 minutes allows enough time to verify yourself with the Speed guide graph (5 seconds interval shows 10 minutes of data) is a consistent upload.. while enabling scaling of the differences the upload(s) have on your download potential :)

Thanks guys :) Just as I thought everything is good I just had my internet service providor change my moden to 2 Wire Gateway 2700HG-E. This had blocked my port as it is indicating in red. Prior to going through the preocedure of port forwarding is there anyother process I can do? Thanks again gentlemen!

hi i am having download speeds of around 15kbs, the icon at the bottom of the screen is green and says connection ok, also wen a click on peers at the bottom its blank wondered if ne 1 could help pls cheers.

Why do you think 15 is slow? How fast do http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ download at? You only need to run it until the download line is sustained (in Speed tab it will be horizontal line)... usually 2-5 minutes.

Have you checked http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 post #2? Many people get around basic shaping by Ctrl-P-> BitTorrent -> Enable encryption... others have to turn off DHT ... Knowing what you've already tried to increase speed helps immensely.

wen i downloade that open office it ran at around 5kbs sum of my downloads r running at that speed others will b goin at 15kbs and thought that slow as other ppl who have utorrent r doing speeds in the hundreds, will check that topic now cheers.

f most of your downloads are 15, but openoffice is LESS >< You sound like you're on a hostile ISP. What does a speedtest report? IF you keep in mind Divide speedtest numbers by 8 to get the # in uT you can theoretically see, you have an idea of your capability. Usually you should NOT set upload > 80% of that number... and downloads will RARELY reach > 90% of that number.

hi, sorry 4 the late reply not bin able get to me comp, done a speed test and it says 3426 kbs down and 370kbs up, my isp would that be talk talk, sorry am abit new to all this,so will i not be able get ne better speeds than wat am getting, thanx