Speeds are really really slow.

llinxx

My downloads are extreamly slow. For me "fast" is about 50kb/s. The fastest ive ever seen is about 150kb/s. I didnt really ever think anything of it until i decided to download the webui and looked at the 200kb/s average thet people were complaining about been slow! My average is about 15kb/s. Ive changed every setting according to every forum and website, still nothing. Also i cant open a port WHAT SO EVER!!! Ive followed the microsoft way of opening a port and opened it on mine and my dads computer his is the computer with the internet connection, were connected via a zyxel prestige 600 seris router, it is wireles but i use an ethrenet cable otherwise speeds are more like 5kb/s average. My upload speed is faster than my download aswell, not a great deal faster, btu faster none the less. If anyone has had the same problem and can provide any help i will be gratefull :D. Im at your mercy.

Lincoln

Have you checked the Speed Guide (Ctrl-G) which will allow you to test your theoretical maximum linespeed? Those results are what you should enter into the drop-down box. Afterwards you can test your maximum sustained linespeed through bittorrent of a torrent from either OOo AND / OR Slackware to see if your ISP treats filesharing traffic any different.

To help with opening ports to allow you to download from firewalled peers the Setup Guide and http://portforward.com/guides.htm may have your specific model. I also did a cursory search on the forum for your router model "zyxel" and that may help you some. I do have a question though, is your setup ISP -> modem -> zyxel router -> computers ?

I know it's alot of information, but taking it slow and step by step can help you get it running in no-time :D

Yes ive checked the speed guide, its at 1Mbit. Ive setup a static ip adress but i cannot acess the zyxel screen on the internet (by going to the adress http://192.168.1.1). When i test the linespeed with one of the above torrents i get about 50kb/s. Still not excellent but if i could get one of my torrente to do that i would be over the moon. O and my set up is ISP -> modem -> dads computer and then we are both connected via the zyxel pestige 600 series router as previously mentioned. I live in england and i went to visit my canadian cousin. When he told me he could download a movie in about a couple of hours i was like :o Takes me about 5 days on a movie with plenty of seeders. The help so far has been amazing. If anyone can give me any more it would be grately appreciated.

P.S. Thanks Jewelisheaven :)

Hey, if it's a public torrent/tracker and you don't mind the possibility of more-regular crashing (not that often though) you can also check out the 1.8 line. It uses a a way collaborated between multiple torrent client developers to try to bypass current torrent traffic shaping technologies.

Testing either of the sample well-seeded torrents with an encapsulated, NEW install of utorrent 1.8 (pre-beta right now) might notice significant increases (thread here).

Weel we pay for a 8 Mbit linespeed, but only get about 2 Mbit because of the area we live in. One of my downloads has an increase and is not about 20-25kb/s, the other is slower, about my average (15 kb/s). O well looks like I'm just going to have to put up with slow downloads, its not the end of the world a suppose...

Chances are, your upload settings are contributing to your problem.

Is your current upload speeds typically well below your upload speed limit?

(This means either the torrents you're running have few+slow peers that want to download from you...or something is horribly broken!)

If not, do you upload consistently close to the upload speed limit?

(This is typically due to bad µTorrent settings, poor networking gear, or being on a hostile ISP.)

Well, depends upon what the speedtest results you receive are. 92KiBps denotes ~768 Kbit upload maximum. I don't see the reported speed test reaults in the thread anywhere, so I can't guarantee one way or the other. Note as before Switeck's comment. In the Speed Guide the xx prefixing the drop-down options shows the relative ambivalence about download speeds. The swarm survives based upon upload speeds.

xx/192k should be ok except for very fast torrents...the settings are somewhat conservative on the actual upload speeds used.

I have 384 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth and actually upload continuously at 42 KiloBYTES/sec for hours. But the xx/384k setting only set µTorrent to 35 KiloBYTES/sec.

Thanks for your help guys, its appreciated. Just wish i had a better internet connection. As soon as i get my own house im gonna spend so much money on routers and internet and stuff, got a long wait, I'm only 14! Once again, Thanks.

Lincoln

Archived