A newbie's question

kafka

Hello

I am new to utorrent and torrent file downloads in general. Now when you are downloading something I believe you must stay online in order for it to complete. However a certain download takes a significantly long time to be completed and I have to keep the phone line open for important calls. So I was wondering is there a way to go offline and retain the downloaded progress, and then go back online and resume downloading the rest of the file? Any advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The way Bittorrent works allows easy re-connection. In uTorrent you have two options which essentially work the same way. You can either close uT in the meantime, or leave it open. If you leave it open you can STOP the torrent (which will lose any partial pieces (found under Pieces tab)) or PAUSE the torrent (which won't lose any functionality while you are in offline mode).

To understand a bit about the bittorrent protocol and torrenting in general perhaps you may want to read the second link on the Guides page (linked below). Any other questions?

Also I infer from "keeping the line open" you do not have DSL and are stuck with dialup, for which I feel your pain ;) I don't know how I would deal with dialup speeds again :( I just hope dialup will finally die off in the US ... but that would require ISPs actually allowing mainstream usage of fibre backbone :/ Maybe after Google gets their hands in the pot (of ISPs) next year with the trans-pacific cable.

Archived