Need a nice way of closing uTorrent from my program

Ger Teunis

Thanks for the app. It works under wine, but only when "Close to tray" is not selected.

Thank you, I was not aware that this .NET application would run under wine!

Did you install the .NET framework on your wine to make it work?

Regarding the "Close to tray" option>

Could you post the textual output from the application while you try to close the application?

I use a lot of windows specific low-level calls (WM_* messages) to close the uTorrent client when the normal close is not really closing the application (like with the option "Close to tray"). I can imagine that Wine is not completely reacting the same as windows in handling the low-level calls. I am a bit surprised that the application is working at all in wine!

Did you install the .NET framework on your wine to make it work?

yes, I needed to use two commands, which installed .NET 2.0:

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

sh winetricks dotnet20

Could you post the textual output from the application while you try to close the application?

There seems to be some complications. Sorry. First, i didn't noticed them. So (i will post only relevant/variable pieces to save space):

Case 1: When "Close to tray" is checked.

Case 1a: When window is minimized to system tray:

Application does not have a open window; will search for windows to close.

Process NOT closed, use force option to close.

Done...

Case 1b: When window is NOT minimized to system tray (so it appears on taskbar):

Closing application and waiting for response...

Timeout while closing application; will search for windows to close.

Done...

Case 2: When "Close to tray" is NOT checked.

Case 2a: When window is minimized to system tray:

Application does not have a open window; will search for windows to close.

Done...

Case 2b: When window is NOT minimized to system tray (so it appears on taskbar):

Application is closed.

Done...

Case 3: When "Close to tray" AND "Minimize to tray" both are NOT checked:

Application is closed.

Done...

Are you on a recent Wine? Like, 1.1.6.

On last stable - 1.1.1.

Regards.

PS: It is not such a big problem. The issues with not closing when it is minimized i can simply overcome by running before CloseApp.exe a few more strings of shell code:

if ps -e | grep uTorrent.exe #To see if it is running

then

wine /path_to_uT/uTorrent.exe #This command always maximizes uT

wine /path_to_CA/CloseApp.exe "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"

fi

So this would maximize uT if it is running and then CloseApp.exe will close it anyway (except cases 1a/1b).

I can do this dirty hack(?) because (for me) it is only needed to close on very rare restarts and while APC battery is low -> shutdown. So it is not a problem of popping-up uT window. As for "Close to tray" habit - i'll get used to it :)

I think it is the 'window walker' that is not compatible with 1.1.1 at least. The window walker code will try to close a minimized (to tray) uTorrent.

That window walker code is very platform specific indeed, but it would be nice that even an non-emulated environment ;) like wine will also work like it should.

1a> because it is minimized I use the window walker = not working

1b> not closing because "close to tray" is enabled (close will not close but minimize).

fallback to the window walker = not working.

2a> same is 1a.

2b> No window walker needed because the uTorrent window is not minimized

Perhaps a newer wine will work!

Ps> thanks for the winetricks tip.

Now running 1.1.7. Results are IDENTICAL. About "window walker" - i think you are absolutely right.

P.S. Another winetricks tip: Some winetricks (like msxml3) download *.msi files with further execution of something like "msiexec /i downloaded_file.msi" and this step always fails with my setup (don't know why). The simple solution is to re-run "msiexec /i downloaded_file.msi" command manually with quiet switch in the end: "msiexec /i downloaded_file.msi /q".

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello!

Just wanted to share my experience. I am writing a program to search my HUGE video directory and create a folder with hard links to new files, e.g.:

I have a directory with movies

[movieS]

Movie_title_1.avi (12.01.2010)

Movie_title_2.avi (13.01.2010)

Movie_title_3.avi (14.01.2010)

Movie_title_4.avi (15.01.2010)

And my program creates a directory with hard links to these files so I can browse them by date_created AND STREAM (what's good about hard links is that they don't consume HDD space, but a dlna client treats them as original files).

[movieS]

[RECENT]

01_Movie_title_4.avi (15.01.2010)

02_Movie_title_3.avi (14.01.2010)

03_Movie_title_2.avi (13.01.2010)

04_Movie_title_1.avi (12.01.2010)

Movie_title_1.avi (12.01.2010)

Movie_title_2.avi (13.01.2010)

Movie_title_3.avi (14.01.2010)

Movie_title_4.avi (15.01.2010)

The main problem was: when a new movie is added, we have to delete hard links & create new ones. But trying to delete hard links failed on files locked by uTorrent (e.g. uploading).

So I also looked for a way of uTorrent safe closing. I read this thread for a solution, but did not want to sacrifice "close to tray".

So my algorithm is:

1. Check if process utorrent is running

2. If it is, run ("C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\utorrent.exe"). This operation brings main window of uTorrent at top, not starting new process.

3. Wait until active window tiltle includes "µTorrent"

4. Send alt – f – x (File – Exit) Here if you have a confirmation of quit enabled, we can send ENTER, but I just turned it off.

5. Wait until there is no process with name "utorrent" running.

So the only drawback of this method is a "flash" of utorrent main window showing for 0.5 sec.

Advantage: You can have all settings you like (close to tray, exit confirmation and so on).

Archived