Multi-Language support for WebUI

Lord Alderaan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good.

So did you make the new webui multi-language or does it need to be modded by the community?

If you did, did you implement a browser language check similar to the one Bumblebee made? Because the webui should display in the language of the visitor and not the language of the host. (Because we concluded someone with a German browser looking at the webui of someone running µtorrent in Czech should see the webui in German by default. Client side decision.)

@LordAlderaan: No modding will be necessary. Everything will be included in the webui.zip file. It'll be just like in µT; in the settings "window" there will be a drop-down, you choose the language, the setting gets saved, and a (auto-)refresh later you'll have the WebUI in the language of your choosing. Language auto-detection pisses me off, so, I won't add it...although, I guess I could add a setting to enable it. Either way, it'll be a do it once & never again kind of thing.

So there will be two translation files. Will you be using the current multi-language file as a starting point for the new version of WebUI prior to release or will those making these mods need to join the TS team to make sure their language is included IF it's not already in the utorrent.lng repository?

Edit: I kinda like the idea that the WebUI pops up in the native language of the browser... I think the cookie should remain client side instead of being added to webui.cookie

Sounds good Directix. U could use Bumblebees default language code.

But it is true that every user only needs to pick his/her preferred language one time and a cookie will remember it.

jewelisheaven: I don't think the webui has or will have server side session information. Otherwise they would have implemented a better login then http auth :) You can rest assured that the language choice will be saved in a cookie.

µTorrent does store a cookie inside settings.dat that webUI looks at. Without it, webUI would need to be configured over and over every time you logged into it.

@jewelisheaven: As I said before, it's "translate once, translate all." Naturally, that'd mean that everything will stay inside of µTS, and if a translation doesn't already exist (kinda rare, with 50 translations already), someone would need to translate it there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived