How about adding a small dialog when adding a new torrent for download

kerson

How about adding a small dialog when adding a new torrent for download, asking if you want to download now or later.

If "Later" button is clicked, then the torrent gets added in stopped mode, if "Now" button gets clicked then it starts to download.

If any of you have used the getright download mgr, the there is one similar dialog in that app when you add a new download.

I hope you understand what I mean, english is not my main language ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm... ;)

if µTorrent does NOT alter the DEFAULT behaviour - as GetRight it does !-( - it would be a nice idea :cool:

---

* Settable in Option dialogue...

- Refrain from posting messages MOSTLY CAPITALized, Needlessly Capitalizing Each Word, or using |_337 5|>34|<.

No it should not alter anything, see it as a more or less a shortcut to the start/stop buttons in the toolbar.

I have µTorrent always minimized to tray and this dialog would be useful when adding several torrents, I don't need to open up µTorrent to start/stop some of the added torrents.

Here is a small pic I made to illustrate the dialog http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/8426/downloaddialog4us.jpg

hmmm... :)

in this case - with such a big window - i would prefer 2 implement functionality of TorrentSpy :cool:

with additional informations about freespace on HDD's :/

- Refrain from posting messages MOSTLY CAPITALized, Needlessly Capitalizing Each Word, or using |_337 5|>34|<.

The picture is just as quick mockup I did to more visual show what I ment :) , the real dialog should be much smaller.

of course it should be optional to show the dialog or not when adding files so users that do not want a dialog when adding files can turn it off under Preferences...

What does he have against bitcomet like dialogs!!!

I think it's a good thing to add and does not take any more resources.

About the 'don't open new threads', sorry but I don't have the forum database in my head so I didn't know it was asked before, I did search but could not find anything about the dialog I'm asking about.

Dont open threads on already discussed to death topics. Ludde said he wont implement any bitcomet-like pre download dialogs or the such.

thx 4 ur input :rolleyes:

i'll give BitComet a try with such a 'genious' pre-download dialogue ;)

later... perhaps i'll go back 2 µ'Azureus' :cool:

ps: it's spelled genius

Have fun with them. Take your irritating caps with you. I'm gonna start DELETING your posts if you keep it up.

Anyway, this is kind of a pointless request, you can use "New torrents start in stopped mode" and just start the ones you want to start. Same exact functionality...

Yes I always use the add torrents in stopped mode, I often add a lot of torrents from different trackers and now I have to open µTorrent from systray as I have it always minimized and mark the ones I want to start and then click on the start button to start them, with the type of pre-dl dialog I'm asking about I can select the ones to start or add in stopped mode when I add them to µTorrent, it's a lot quicker todo so...

But thanx anyway and keep up the god work you all doing on µTorrent.

ok i've noticed some here are overly sensitive about this bitcomet like pre-dl dialog feature. i also noticed it's labeled "bad feature" on the feature voting page (yet it's still one of the most requested features, which is no surprise as it is indeed very handy). i'd just like to know if the reason for oposing this feature so fiercely has been explained anywhere.

1c3d0g - by exaggerating like that you can make ANY feature look senseless. not quite an objective approach is it.

firon, ultima - I can see your point, but as Sanchez said you could turn it off in options and apparently a lot of users do find this way of doing things more practical than what's currently available. Another thing to consider imo is that the bitcomet's dialog is not just a "dl now/dl later" dialog, but through it you also have immediate access to the (judging by what I have seen in other clients) best implementation of selective dl-ing. best as in fastest and most practical. I am perfectly aware that all features can't be included and all tastes can't be satisfied, but actively going against a very popular feature that doesn't break or hinder anything, while it does add a lot in terms of functionality to a non-negligible part of users is a bit hard to understand.

Hm, I wouldn't consider 4 people a lot (or at least there's that many people in this thread asking for this feature) ;P

That's besides the point though. I personally don't have too strong of an opinion on the feature's inclusion (just slightly against it). Having an extra popup every time you add a torrent (assuming the option is enabled) can be annoying, and I'm sure there will be people complaining about its implementation. The way I see it working better is if it is integrated into the "where to save" dialog. But if this is the case, it might as well be the BitComet dialog (which, as chaos said above, ludde isn't interested in doing).

I always save my torrent downloads to different drives, therefore I always have a dialogue box whenever I open a torrent anyways. BitComet shows the "save to" dialogue and "choose which files to download inside the torrent" dialogue in the same window/box, so if it were implemented for utorrent I'd hope it would only be implemented in this sort of fashion. Having a seperate "save to" dialogue followed by a "choose files" dialogue would ... for lack of a better word.. suck.

Archived