Error! Port 50479 does not appear to be open.

Starch

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 50479 on 71.163.193.206...

Error! Port 50479 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

Can anybody explains this to me? And how to fix the problem?

P.S. I'm to new to this so, could you give me step by step instructions.

It means that something is blocking a port to Utorrent. This port is used to let peers and seeders connect to you and allow an optimal download speed.

The port is being blocked and you need to let it through your seceruity programs.

(IE. Firewall, anti virus, or router)

I have this same problem and get that message too (although different ip address obviously).

I have a BT Voyager 105 modem, which doesn't appear on the lists at portforward.com.

But looking at other models (routers), it mentions making sure your ip address IS static and not dynamic. I believe mine is dynamic, so I need to configure that.

But that could be your problem too starch.

This is work in progress, so if i get mine sorted, I'll let you know.

Thank you, ajones81

But, new problem:

The little color thing at the bottom of utorrent, say no incoming connection.

The port forward can't forward the program it keeps "timeout " with a error (doesn't say which error).

and thank you for patiences and kind advice.

Can anyone help me with this problem too?

I get the same error message from the port checker.

I'm using AOL. When I contacted them about IP addresses, they said that AOL only have dynamic IP addresses, although they also said that this shouldn't affect dling torrents.

I'm using a BT voyager 105 modem.

The firewall is allowing utorrents.

So, I dunno? I've been trying for a long time. (Drives you mad!)

Any help would be appreciated also.

If you don't have a router or something between you and your ISP then they are right dynamic IPs are acceptable because they merely pass the packets on. However if you see on your modem options for "virtual server" or "port forwarding" it ALSO has a router in it. Making sure you are setup correctly is more important than having forwarded ports because without being setup for the connection, it doesn't matter how many people you connect to, your speeds will suffer. The ONLY limitation you have when unforwarded is that you cannot connect to OTHER firewalled peers. (See Why is being firewalled bad by The Shad0w http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html ). Sure unfirewalled peers may be a minority in any swarm, and it's an inconvenience, but making sure you are setup correctly FIRST is more important.

;) I didn't make it heh. Unfortunately it doesn't help you with your forwarding problem. I'm not sure what the problem would be. Is your network setup similar: ISP -> modem -> router -> computer? If you are not, but your ISP is still in a local range (192.168 172.16 169.254 are the ones which come to mind first)

Archived