Something to keep record of what you have downloaded

User X

I was thinking it could be useful if you could keep track of what you have downloaded so far.

So each time a (*.torrent) is added, uTorrent will store its file's name, size, number of files, and status on a text file.

Status will change from unfinished to finished if the torrent is downloaded 100%.

The second (*.torrent) will be in the same text file but, it will be written below the first one.

Does not take too much Hardisk and cpu to manipulate text file... I think.

With this users are able to keep track of what they have downloaded, if they already burn or put it on storage devices. Also users are able to search (using notepad) to know whether that torrent had been downloaded before or not, they could compare by using the size and number of files. Or uTorrent could warn users if the torrent they add is perfectly the same with the one on the text file.

Of course, there should be an option to disable or enable this feature.

Thanks for reading this post.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search before but couldn't find it.

Actually everything's there already for you. Just look in c:\documents & settings\user\Application Data\utorrent (aka %appdata%\utorrent). For file name/size you can parse the torrents, and all kinds of status information is in resume.dat. You can use a pre-existing torrent parser, the format is similar, or you can just write your own.

I think it would be a neat idea to write out a text (or xml) file in the same folder with basic status every x minutes, since it would take almost zero resources and no big hard drive reads (since everything is already stored in memory), but I'm not sure what it would actually be useful for.

I don't think that this would be against the philosophy behind µT, but I don't support it either, since it seems a little useless. Surely there are better ways of keeping track of what you've downloaded?

I'd be interested in a stats log with total amounts downloaded and such, though.

I too would love to have this feature in µT.

This is what the BitComet downloads.xml file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<BitComet Author="RnySmile" Version="0.1">
<Torrents>
<Torrent TorrentRelativePath="true" SaveLocation="Y:\Internet\Bittorrent\BitComet\Downloads\Placebo-Placebo(Darkside_RG)" Size="83674003" SelectedSize="83674003" Left="83674003" SeedOnly="false" ElapsedTime="3" ElapsedTimeDl="3" AutoRun="true" DataUpload="0" DataDownload="0" Private="false" TorrentFile="Torrents\Placebo-Placebo(Darkside_RG).torrent" ShowName="Placebo-Placebo(Darkside_RG)" Catalog="" InfoHashHex="7890cbc33ef715a74c4ac4db81c4fcb51e93108c" Publisher="" PublisherUrl="">
</Torrent>
</Torrents>
</BitComet>

Something like that would really be great!

I was using the .xml file from BC along with a script for Samurize to display it on my desktop.

Don't they still make pencils and paper?

Why do people come here to ask that µTorrent is made more like BitComet?

Just use BitComet if these "toys for boys" are so important to you.

If you want an app with a small footprint and are interested in really important features like header encryption, give the developers a bit of time.

Better yet, demand that the author of BitComet follow protocols and specifications properly, remove client spoofing options and quit playing games.

If you did that, many of you who have to change clients because of his laxity or whatever wouldn't be making these requests.

I was only using BitComet as an example, many other BT programs have the same functionality, even µT has it, I am asking for an easier to read file.

Also its is only a request, if this feature doesn't get implemented it's not going to stop me from using µT.

TheBear, your comment is not helpful, who is realistically going to write everything down by hand?

For me this feature is unimportant but some others find it useful or interesting, and it wouldn't make the program any more 'bloated'.

How do you know it won't make µTorrent more bloated? Are you privy to the coding techniques and custom libraries used by the authors to create it?

As to my comment being helpful, you should ask helpful to whom?

If it's to endorse an "unimportant" feature to translate data that already is available, you are right.

If it's to remind some folks that many people use µTorrent simply because it is unlike any other client out there, you obviously missed the irony of my comments.

How do you know it won't make µTorrent more bloated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat :

Software bloat is a derogatory term used to describe the tendency of newer computer programs to use larger amounts of system resources (mass storage space, processing power and/or RAM) than older programs. It is also used in a more general context to describe programs which appear to be using more system resources than necessary, or implementing extraneous features. Software exhibiting these tendencies is referred to as bloatware or, less commonly, fatware.

larger amounts of system resources? nope

more system resources than necessary? nope, not at all when disabled (should be the default)

implementing extraneous features? ie, is this feature vital? no, and neither are DHT, scheduler, columns in the GUI, IP resolving, speed tab, logger tab, to name some. Did you protest when those got implemented?

If you need the bloat argument, you just lack a valid reason.

Are you privy to the coding techniques and custom libraries used by the authors to create it?

Are you? You don't need to sit next to ludde to make a reasonable estimate on whether or not a feature would be hard to implement or use much resources.

I'm in favor of the request -if optional and disabled by default- as it would be usefull for some people.

DrS pretty much summed up what I meant. Please just consider how simple statistics are to record. Every time µT reports to the tracker on amounts it has uploaded, etc, it could 'report' the same data to an XML or other stats file.

I can't even begin to understand what could be holding µT back from doing this such that enabling it to would constitute a significant increase in executable size or resource management.

• 4 months later...
I was thinking it could be useful if you could keep track of what you have downloaded so far.

So each time a (*.torrent) is added, uTorrent will store its file's name, size, number of files, and status on a text file.

Status will change from unfinished to finished if the torrent is downloaded 100%.

The second (*.torrent) will be in the same text file but, it will be written below the first one.

Does not take too much Hardisk and cpu to manipulate text file... I think.

With this users are able to keep track of what they have downloaded, if they already burn or put it on storage devices. Also users are able to search (using notepad) to know whether that torrent had been downloaded before or not, they could compare by using the size and number of files. Or uTorrent could warn users if the torrent they add is perfectly the same with the one on the text file.

I am fairly new to utorrent but when I was setting it up first time, I specified in preferences the four folders where to put stuff:

C:\uTorrent - New Downloads

C:\uTorrent - Completed Downloads

C:\uTorrent - .torrent files

C:\uTorrent - .torrent finished jobs

not sure if I named those myself but that's what I got there - I think I just added 'uTorrent - ' prefix parts of names so they all stay grouped together on the data storage HD. Now all current torrents are listed in third folder and finished ones and removed from utorrent are in the fourth, that is if you just choose when removing torrents from uT the option 'remove'...

then all you ever downloaded is in that fourth folder in the form of torrent urls and everything that you want is there except the file sizes and number of files but those I don't know exactly why would you want to know them and the status is evident from where the torrents are, that is in which folder

the torrents are arranged by alphabet and that is the best I suppose for later search manually (it doesn't matter if you search by computer looking up of files)

//I just realized I bumped up old post, that was because was searching for something and forgot I was on search results page... anyway, it might be usefull what I say here I hope//

vanDivX

Archived