GUI for non-advanced options in advanced options

tjobo

There are some options in "Advanced options" that I dont think belong there, instead they should have their own checkbox or something at the main options dialog. Especially they shouln't go under the flag "WARNING: DO NOT MODIFY" as it says..

Options that should be safe to remove from advanced options:

Tray.show

tray.single_click

gui_alternate_color

peer.resolve_country

ipfiter_enable

There's various options that probably shouldn't be in there, but are put in there because they aren't really necessary to most people (hence the name Advanced Options).

But hey, with that warning, it might make them read the FAQ and find out what they do before screwing with the options. ;)

Heh I, too, like having all the options put together like that. It's just like about:config in Firefox, and I really like the fact that if I know exactly what I want to change, I can change it there without having to wade through all the preference panes to find where it's located.

I didn't question to remove all the advanced options, just those that doesn't belong there.

I made this request to to make µTorrent a better program. Personally I don't care where the options are located, but there are people that do!

For example new users may not give the advanced options the same attention, as if they where in the main options, and thereby misses parts of utorrent's full potential. This could be very critical for a first timer's opinions about utorrent.

Ofcourse options that are *advanced* should stay there so new users doesn't mess with them..

I mean.. what could possibly go wrong with options like

Tray.show

tray.single_click

gui_alternate_color

peer.resolve_country ?

Hm if ludde does that, he might as well put the description for each option in a separate column or pane below that listbox as well. While I'd personally like to see that, I don't care too much, and I doubt he'd do that anyhow. After all, advanced is advanced because it shouldn't be touched unless you know what you're doing, and probably shouldn't be touched too often anyway.

Edit: Also, maybe ludde can name the options as gui.WHATEVER for any GUI option (rather than a select few), and net.WHATEVER for all network options, etc. Then one can sort by Name and all's well and organized =P

Archived