On torrent deletion: Move files to a selected folder

ievolver

I've tested quite a few torrent programs, but they all lack the one important feature that I'm now requesting:

Since I'm downloading lots and lots of torrents, most music, I need to seed them all for as long as possible (OiNK 4-ever...). But when a torrent dies, and they do, I'd like to simply delete it and the program would automatically move the files to a, by me, selected folder. As of now, I have to look up the torrent name and then search my download directory for the files, and then move them were I want. It takes quite a lot of time, my download dir is packed with stuff and it's hard to find anything at all there. I think there are more people out there with the same problem!

To be absolutely clear: I want a little checkbox, and a textbox for the directory path. Just like the ones already implemented for moving files to a folder when downloaded.

(By torrent deletion I don't mean that I must delete the .torrent file, just the program linking. Or whatever you call it :) )

So... What do you think??

Yeah, that's a smart feature, and I must admit that I haven't tried it yet. But that doesn't solve my problem. I'd still don't know which music I wasn't seeding anymore.

I don't think this feature would be hard to create, and I think that at least some people out there (like me) would find it very useful.

Edit: Since no one is answering, and I want to see what ppl think, I'll try to put it to a vote. So, visit

http://www.niteshdw.com/utorrent/index.php?

and vote for it!

Remember: It should only be an option. And unchecked by default.

a better idea would be to have an option in the right click menu to delete+move the files. so for example you could sort them by status, multi-select and delete+move as needed.

Very nice! Didn't think of that myself, but it's way smarter. That way one could have diferrent "output" folders for each category of torrents - all set by oneself. Very nice!

• 1 month later...

I really hope this feature will be added to uTorrent. It's a really simple one, and very useful, perhaps so useful that no one has thought about it yet, and therefore are voting negatively for it.

As an example for how good this feature would be, I'll take myself:

I am currently seeding over 250 torrents at the same time, mainly from OiNK but also alot from Music-Vid, all very small torrents. I'm creating an archive with all these files, but need to keep my ratio up at the same time, therefore I'm always ending up seeding several hundred of torrents at the same time... But when a torrent dies, and they do, its no use keeping it in the torrents queue. But its really very much work to lookup the torrent in the download dir, then delete the torrent file, and _after that_ move it to where I want.

Also, sometimes one needs to clean up the torrent queue, even though most are still seeded, then it would also be definitively useful to just press ctrl, highlight those that should be taken away, rightclick and select "delete torrent + move to..>predefined directory1/2/3" etc..

A very nice feature indeed. I hope everyone finds out!

• 4 weeks later...

EXCELLENT IDEA!

The Remove And submenu would be a great place to add it.

Remove and >

>Delete .torrent

>Delete .torrent + data

>Delete data

to this add...

> Delete .torrent and Move data to ... (either a folder predefined in options would be here or a dialog to choose the folder. I would like multiple predefined folders)

mrhogan

• 2 weeks later...

When I used to run azureus you can stop the torrent and then right click and there was an option to move the file to another location, so this has been done before and shouldn't be to hard to implement with utorrent. Now I don't have the same problem that you guys have. I only download/seed 20 or so files and I save each torrent to different folder that I specify and when a torrent dies I just remove it and that's that. So I have never tried that feature out but I remember seeing it and thinking it was a cool feature to have.

the more i think about it, the more i think sgibbers17's idea is the best

i believe in another thread Firon was questioning the need for yet another directory. He was asking 'you want a downloading dir, a seeding dir and a finished dir?' somewhat incredulously, and he was right

this is what the 'finished' dir should have been from the beginning. to me it does not matter whether a torrent is download or seeding, it is still in use and i cannot move them and they should all be in the 'working' dir. Only when you are truly finished with it should it be moved to the 'finished' dir

so when I'm done with a group of torrents, i just select them all, right click and choose 'move files to finished directory'. Then i can either delete the torrents or not using the existing options.

thus there needs to be one small change in the prefs:

you should be able to set the finished dir WITHOUT checking 'move completed downloads to:" (basically switch their position so the dir location is the 'parent option')

this way people who like the existing functionality can check the box and the files will be moved as soon as they finish downloading (just like it does now)

for the rest of us, we can set the directory but leave the box UNCHECKED, thus the files will stay in the working dir until such time as we decide we're done with them.

i really wish i had seen this before i submitted the 'delete and -> move files' item to the feature voting page because i almost feel like submitting this too :(

it's been interesting to see the evolution of this idea from 'on deletion move files' (which applied to all torrents) to the 'delete and -> move files' option and now to this. I now feel that this idea has reached the pinnacle of it's development and cannot be further improved

of course i could be wrong ;)

@ trinop: I really like the way this idea has been evolving into.. So that last suggestion of yours is absolutely the best, although i'm personally more fond of putting the "move to completed downloads dir" under the delete>-menu. That way one doesnt need to first select that option in the menu and then delete the torrent from the queue.. Maybe both options would suit everyone?

I think the thingy with checking/unchecking the automatic "move completed downloads to.."-text field in options dialogue is the greater part of your idea! Hopefully this will be thought of when ppl are voting!

(And all that's reading, my initial thought of the "delete + move files to.." option was that it would only affect those torrents selected in the queue, just like you guys are pointing out now. :) )

The voting seems to turn out great! I just hope that "the coder" will take the closest look at these last posts! (Cheers to you, if you're reading ;D)

I like trinop's idea, but I dont see the problem with yet another directory. I supported in another thread the downloading/seeding/finished directory idea with automatic moving. I think the right click->move option for finished files is better than doing it automatically, but I'd still like complete files automatically moved to a seeding directory.

The files in the download directory are incomplete so you cant do anything with them. Files in a seeding directory are complete and can be opened/run/played, but not deleted because you're still seeding. Files in a finished directory (or non working directory) are no longer being used by utorrent and can be deleted/moved/whatever.

Three directories makes sense to me, but trinop's working/finished directories with right click->move files to finished directory is the best way using 2 directories.

mrhogan

Just read mrhogans post, and I can see your point. In fact, the easiest solution would probably be to have three different textfields in the options dialogue for putting and moving torrent files.

Then, if you only wanted to have two directories, like me, you would simply specify the same directory in both the downloading and seeding textfields, and another directory for the last one, "completed". Others could have all three, or simply one of them, by only specifying one the download directory and unchecking the rest.

Also, if one want uTorrent to move the files when some conditions are met (eg "ratio is above X.X), these files would be moved to the completed directory specified in the dialogue.

Just to be clear: The torrent files are moved to the completed download dir by selecting one or more in the torrent queue, right-clicking and selecting something like "move to completed dir".

(But still, I think it would be good if there were two ways of moving the files, either by doing what i just described or by right-clicking on one or more torrents and selecting Remove And>Move files to completed dir. The two options would spare many ppl, including me, some clicks!)

Then, if you only wanted to have two directories, like me, you would simply specify the same directory in both the downloading and seeding textfields, and another directory for the last one, "completed".

really the way that would work would be to simply not check the 'Move completed downloads to:' box and thus that directory is grayed out

but to me having the .ut! extension is enough to separate download and seeding files in the work directory

i don't have a problem with 3 directories, i just don't have a use for them and i'm trying to keep it as simple as possible

on the other hand i could see how it could be useful for some people, so i'm sort of ambivalent

Also, if one want uTorrent to move the files when some conditions are met (eg "ratio is above X.X), these files would be moved to the completed directory specified in the dialogue.

again, lets not overwhelm ludde here just yet ;)

let's get a 'finished' dir in there first before we start adding too many features

Just to be clear: The torrent files are moved to the completed download dir by selecting one or more in the torrent queue, right-clicking and selecting something like "move to completed dir".

exactly!

(But still, I think it would be good if there were two ways of moving the files, either by doing what i just described or by right-clicking on one or more torrents and selecting Remove And>Move files to completed dir. The two options would spare many ppl, including me, some clicks!)

to me, not such a good idea as it only saves one to two clicks and would force the addition of at least two extra menu options as someone on the other thread pointed out:

Remove and ->

Move Files

Delete .torrent and Move Files

just 'Move Files' by itself is a lower-level command and lets you perform whatever behavior you want

Yeah, many of these ideas are good - better than what we have now anyway. I personally would love to have 3 dirs. Because I don't make "business" of working with torrents - i add them, occasionally check the files, then delete them.. so the more automation there, the better for me..

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be so paranoid Ultima, I was simply trying to show a slightly different approach to a similiar thing. I don't want a patent for ideas suggested by others, nor by myself. If you don't like the idea, you can state your opinion and arguments for that, and if I don't agree I can give new arguments for that.

Archived