Windows patch 941644 causing speed problem

k00lworld

Is anyone else having speed issues caused by the latest critical XP patch. Many torrents show many seeders in the swarm but no actual connections. I reinstalled the TCP/IP limit removal patch for XP but this didn't help I had to uninstall the XP patch. Anyone else had this problem and is it possible to install the patch and still maintain an acceptable download speed?

You may be talking about unrelated problems. Spoofed seeders/leechers on trackers is not unheard of. So are so-called interdicted torrents, whereby organizations which dislike seeing content they are paid to interfere with online, will connect their large botnets to it with useless peers, hopefully increasing the time to download said content to an interminable amount before which the legitimate peers will give up.

I refuse to let MS or Windows choose to install anything I don't look at first so I have yet to review this "critical" set of changes from patch tuesday, so I'm not sure on that front.

I believe the latest gamut of patches does reset the max half open setting. After I ran them, my tracker connections, etc went to shit. Finally after pulling my hair out, I checked the max halfopen with the patch and it was set back to 10, and I had it set to 80 in utorrent. So, I set it to 100 like I had it before, restarted, and bam, utorrent is running beautifully again.

net.max_halfopen set to 0 does indeed work AFTER you've gotten the attention of peers and seeds on a torrent. But you're not likely to contact the tracker when set to that, nor can you use that value if you're firewalled.

That setting is best used only for very special conditions (such as modem or router overload) so you can continue running torrents hopefully without further problems.

Archived