First time utorrent user..need help with settings..

chon

Read over the F.A.Q and read through a couple threads..but it seems like I can't get speeds above 100kb/s. I was able to get up to 830kb/s on my 4mb connection with BitComet before, so I know something isn't set correctly. My upload speeds are fine..maxing out at/around 45-50kb/s..but my download times are just horrible. Could someone state some preference config #'s for a 4mb connection, I would greatly appreciate it

My settings are as follows..

- Port #: 55251

- Disabled UPnP port mapping

- Global max upload rate: 47

- Global max download rate: 830

- Global max # of connections: 150

- Max # of connected peers per torrent: 100

- Disabled DHT

- net.max_halfopen: 10

those are the only things I changed..thanks in advance!

Edit* Forgot to mention, it says "Network OK" and I have forwarded both TCP/UDP VIA my Router & Windows..

When you used BitComet, did you get 830kb/s or 830kB/s? Since your connection limits you to 4Mb/s I assume you mean 830kb/s (=104kB/s). That's pretty much the same speed as you got with µTorrent (if that's not meant as bytes as well).

You could also increase "Global max # of connections" to 500 since using the current value will only allow you to run one torrent with maxed connections.

If you want to try a benchmarking torrent, try the one in my signature please.

Thanks for the clarification guys..and Animorc, I changed my Global Max # of Connections to 500 which someonewhat boosted my download speed, but I believe I still should be getting better download times. Is there any other preference config I should change? ..thanks in advance again. :D

Have you tried the torrent on Animorc's signature? What speed do you get with that?

DHT on is preferable.

To get 830 kB/s is something of an infrequent nature even for people with good pipes and optimized settings. There is the quality of the other peers, the seeder/leecher ratio, super-seeding considerations, size of swarm, size of the availabilty, tracker performance, ... People have this misconception that you can max out your download regardless of the torrent. It's just not like that, there are many other factors that come into play.

Did you try this torrent?

You should also try changing your max upload rate to 43kB/s.

I was downloading around 400kB/s on your torrent..is that normal?

Have you tried the torrent on Animorc's signature? What speed do you get with that?

DHT on is preferable.

To get 830 kB/s is something of an infrequent nature even for people with good pipes and optimized settings. There is the quality of the other peers, the seeder/leecher ratio, super-seeding considerations, size of swarm, size of the availabilty, tracker performance, ... People have this misconception that you can max out your download regardless of the torrent. It's just not like that, there are many other factors that come into play.

I got around 400kB/s on Animorc's torrent..and I prefer to have DHT disabled since I don't use any public trackers to download my stuff.

Archived