Error that system clock reset trying to defeat security system?

mtbmed

I came home tonight and found my system clock was set to the 27th of January and I reset it to today's date Jan 9th. Now I get this error box that pops up every time I try to do something with uTorrent. When I close the box, whatever I was trying to do will then complete normally. It sez to seek help from the program writer? I would guess here is best ... image shows the stop/error box that pops up. Link below is direct link to full res version

http://fattires-n-beer.com/stuph/stmusic/uTorrent_error.jpg

uTorrent_error.jpg

Now isn't that a nice pop-up. Hmmm... I don't see that message in the current build. What version of uT are you running? Also would you mind skipping through the How-To to the end where it tells you how to create a HiJackThis log? Would you also mind posting a Process Explorer DLL list too? (download zip, unzip, run procexp.exe, Ctrl-L, Ctrl-D, click on utorrent.exe, Ctrl-A to save logfile)

You don't by chance have your computer auto-update for windows updates do you? It was recently patch tuesday. All-in-all, definitely an intriguing error and please update the thread when you can. :D

Ok, let me add to this. I noticed it first when using uTorrent. I have the latest version direct from the site. The problem arises when I try to "open containing folder". I have narrowed it to opening any folders AND an initial opening of IE. once I click on 'OK' the error clears and the window will open. I have run Process Explorer when the error occurs and there is no indication of it there. My guess now is as well ... this is not a uTorrent issue. It is, however, very perplexing to say the least. I have no time trial software, all progs validate with authentication. If I set the system tray clock to the 28th of Jan, the error goes away. My bios is locked(by me) so it resets on restart and the time is correct, but error comes up again. Set the clock forward 18 days and all is well. Last note, my kids changed it goofing around. A system restore does not fix it either. The value must be a backed up component of a proggie that backs up the reg values as well.

The problem quite simply is - Find the process or program triggering this. Then kill the process or completely uninstall and remove all reg data for the offending program.

I am quite stumped and would rather not have to do a full reinstall to fix this.

peace, and thanks for the replies thus far. Oh, and surprise surprise M$ has no answer for me either. They never heard of it. LOL

thanks for all the fish

An IE add-on like a (hidden?) toolbar or security plug-in or some such perhaps? That could also explain the explorer behaviour considering how close those 2 are tied.

That's the only thing I can currently think of that isn't obvious and would not show up in a process list as it would be loaded by an unsuspected app.

WOOHOO! I got it finally.

I kept nitpicking with process explorer and finally found a packaged plugin that was removed some time ago. The reg entry was still there and was still activated as a process. Obviously their uninstaller (the proggie was Flash Capture) didn't remove all the program components. It finally showed its head as a packaged process. I used Your UNinstaller 2006 (which rulezorz btw) to remove all traces of the program. Now the eroor is gone.

What was throwing me off, was that the error would come while opening windows system folders (ie, My Documents) but only the first time. If opened another view/tab of a folder then the error would come back. The error occurred same way opening My Music folder from uTorrent, thus the uT connection.

Because of this, I was not looking at an embedded plugin in IE. I tested the plugins I could see and they all were fine. Was only when I noticed, hey! this little dll isn't supposed to be active anymore. Wtf is it doing here? Uninstall, and voila!

Phew!

Thanks guys for your perusal and help.

oh, and thanks again for all the fish.

Zaphod for Prez!

LOLz, yes he'd make a better president than Bush Jr. anyday.

Heh, another satisfied user of Process Explorer :D You may want to check out other cool stuff M. Russinovich and co. have done over the years if that tickled your fancy ;)

Feel free to also thank the dedicated staff in the "official appreciation thread" :)

I also applaud your tenacity and the wherewithall to conclude the solution yourself :D

Archived