Possible bug in torrent deletion of Utorrent

Shoie13

I happened to have two separate torrents in my list of torrents, and the only real difference in them was that one only had one tracker and the other had several, but both torrents were saving to the same file. The first torrent was inactive, and the second torrent was downloading. Forgetting this, I clicked the inactive torrent and told it to delete torrent + data, and it deleted everything. Since the second torrent was DOWNLOADING to the file I just deleted, shouldn't it have given some type of warning saying the folder was in use by Utorrent since it was downloading to that folder?

Err...by pointing to it you mean have it as the destination file right? In that case won't you end up downloading the same file 4 times over? As far as I know the torrents only check the file when you force recheck, so wouldn't those 4 torrents be unaware of what the other 3 have downloaded?

Theoretically if one actually TRIED DOWNLOADING to the same file 4 times, all but one will give "access denied" at different times. Sorry I didn't specify I was UPLOADING all 4 torrents (how did they have different INFOHASHs you ask? private torrents, different sites, different included keys, different piecesizes) at the same time, not downloading ;) It wouldn't get that far on multiple instances to get to the piecedump in my experience. Though I DO have to say when I was futzing with some Ext partition and downloads I was able to FUBAR a couple GBs of stuff because i ran out of space. It showed as 100% until a restart, or power outage... wait yea that was the day my power outage cost me membership in a shitty private tracker because their admins lack common sense. anyway

Also note OP said 1 was active 1 was inactive, so no "problem" per se.

No.. it's a bug. It should realize it's writing two torrents to one location. I didn't overwrite anything, I deleted a file the program was using and then it lost the data. How is that my fault? Windows Explorer won't let me have two of the same file with the same filename in the same location, it'll warn me that one is overwriting the other. Why should Utorrent be any different?

... I have 4201 torrents loaded into my 1.7 stable. Granted I don't have all of them active at once (which is actually the rub in this scenario). Having to check through 4K+ paths whenever I want to change something is needless overhead. If you had "delete to trash" enabled on the right click for remove then you can not-start the active torrent again, un-delete the files from the recycling bin, and continue as before. It is not a bug, since uT did what you told it to do.

I didn't delete the active torrent. As I said, one was inactive and the other was active, but both were basically the same and were saving to the same file. I deleted the inactive one, which also deleted the active one.

The bug is this: If the ACTIVE ONE is using the folder I just deleted, why did it not stop me? It should be a simple check for Utorrent to check the folder to make sure it's not downloading to it before it lets you delete it.

Archived