use endgame mode for high priority files

woodblock839

When downloading torrents with some files set to "high priority" and others set to normal/low, I often see the last few high priority pieces get stuck downloading from very slow peers, while the faster seeds/peers send pieces from low priority files. I think it would be a good idea to, once almost all of the high priority files are done downloading, use endgame mode to get the last few pieces as fast as possible (and then continue with the other files as usual).

Sequential downloading is about trying to stream movies by downloading all the pieces in numerical order; what I'm suggesting has nothing to do with that and couldn't really be used for it.

In both cases it hurts the swarm

If endgame mode hurt the swarm it wouldn't be used now. What I'm suggesting would basically double the amount of pieces that endgame mode gets used on, nothing more.

abused by leechers

Are you saying that good seeders have no use for a priority system??? Bittorrent in general is frequently abused by leechers, does that mean that we should stop using it? Again, I don't see how this would have any more potential for abuse than the way things are now.

Hey Honeyfrog :D. I'm surprised you commented here before http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=34314 considering your expertise in the matter ;)

I presume uT already implements enough checking to try to make sure this happens already, but as the OP said sometimes you just don't get the slot/interest from a fast peer for those specific pieces... How would a temporary switch to "endgame" mode make that much of a difference?

Archived