µTorrent 1.3 released.

ludde

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Feature: Added option to enable/disable internal tracker

µTorrent internal tracker is kind of like a BT site tracker. Check FAQ for more info

- Fix: Upload a little bit more aggressively

Dunno really, maybe it handles the piece request from other peers faster :P

- Feature: Rate limit DHT traffic.

the bandwitdth traffic µTorrent use for DHT, default is 4092 = 4kb/s

- Feature: Added option to enable/disable internal tracker.

µTorrent features a built-in tracker that is now disabled by default (for hosting your own torrents). You can enable it in Advanced Options if you know what you're doing.

- Fix: Upload a little bit more aggressively

Some people were reporting µTorrent was not uploading "enough", or was not doing a good job trying to upload as much as possible. Thus Ludde made it a bit more "aggressive" so that it'll quickly utilize the bandwidth given to it.

- Feature: Rate limit DHT traffic.

In some rare cases DHT was consuming a lot more bandwidth than some people were comfortable with. Now you can specify a higher value if you want, but only if you have a really fat pipe (▶ 1MB/s upload). For the rest of us mere mortals, this setting is best left alone.

Edit: what Boo said.

I think some of the multiple instances is due to the fact that the new version is named "utorrent.exe" The betas all had their actual names in the exe. If anyone still have some of the older .exe's that were named "utorrent.exe", that my be the problem. I use shortcuts and have to make sure that it points to the current version.

jroc, I have always called them utorrent.exe, I even renamed the betas,

but I don't have the instance problem like some have reported ;).

I always has µTorrent in the same folder, C:\P2P\utorrent

I even keep the old versions in C:\P2P\utorrent\[version]\utorrent.exe

Oh, another thing, I never use µTorrent autoupdate, I always download the new versions from utorrent.com and replace the old .exe. Came to think of it when I read jroc's post in another thread:

Ok I see I shoulda did some looking of my own. I did an auto upgrade to the latest version earlier today. My filetypes options says utorrent-1.2.3-beta-unicode-build-356. Everything else is the same. Thats the latest version I used when I auto-upgraded. But I did download 1.3 separately b4 I auto-upgraded. Then I pointed my shortcut to 1.3 And I open uT from the shortcut only.

There is definitely something funny going on. Cuz I should have 2 instances opening too. I need to stop uT and re open it or something. Will report back with news soon.

Are there any plans to split uTorrent into a Unicode and non-Unicode version (as when I saw "Unicode" on the download page, I was then searching for a "non-Unicode" alternative)? I know I don't EVER need Unicode capability, and Unicode takes slightly more than twice the space to store data. To me it's rather redundant and useless for my purposes...

Or maybe it can be switched on/off?

Or, rather, maybe I should ask... how is Unicode used in uTorrent anyway?

Makes sense... I admit that was a silly proposition.

But what about making it optional in the settings? Like, to use ANSI instead of Unicode?

Perhaps I should just ask how it affects its memory usage. I assume that to a lot of people, a small sacrifice in memory usage is a great tradeoff for Unicode capability, but for people like me and countless others in the US who only use ANSI (or, standard Windows) characters, that tradeoff has no payoff.

I downgraded to 1.2 (erased utorrent.exe, erased file associations, erased %appdata%\utorrent folder, then erased every instance of utorrent i found in my registry) and i didn't have any problems with multiple instances. i then let it upgrade itself to 1.3 and the multiple instance problem started happening again.

It's also being discussed in troubleshooting forum:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3164

Just restarted uTorrent, and it upgraded to v1.3 build 364. What was fixed now?

you mean whats fixed between build 363 and 364? this is the changelog,

you should checked post nr 1 on the first page =

These fixes were fixed in the second release of 1.3 (build 364):

- Fix: Move up/down didn't move like you expected

- Fix: Opening a torrent by doubleclicking in explorer didn't always work.

@spriseris: If its purely µTorrents fault to this instance bug, why doesn't everyone get it then ;)

Makes sense... I admit that was a silly proposition.

But what about making it optional in the settings? Like, to use ANSI instead of Unicode?

Perhaps I should just ask how it affects its memory usage. I assume that to a lot of people, a small sacrifice in memory usage is a great tradeoff for Unicode capability, but for people like me and countless others in the US who only use ANSI (or, standard Windows) characters, that tradeoff has no payoff.

apart from the fact that it I don't think it'll reduce memory use, since it's just wrapping UTF-8 internally to ANSI, you can try starting it with /ANSI

an ANSI-only build will never happen. why? the bittorrent specification dictates that you must read/write strings as UTF-8

making it ANSI-only would actually violate the spec. since µT wraps UTF-8 to ANSI for non-unicode systems, but is still working internally as UTF-8, it doesn't violate the spec in providing this function.

Archived