Speed issues since my connection went down last night

JaredKFan

Hi all.

Haven't been having any issues with uTorrent or any stuff that I download with it, my speed is usually around 150 kb/s which is normal for my connection. But since the connection went down sometime last night, I haven't been able to download at normal speeds.

When I rebooted the computer and tried to download again (which got my connection back up) my download speeds now seem to be at 18 kb/s at the upper end. My ISP is Verizon High Speed DSL, and prior to today had not been having any problems with torrenting.

I ran a speedtest on speedtest.net (using Los Angeles as the test server because that's the city I'm closest to) and i got the following numbers.

221571972.png

I don't know what's going on since i didn't have any problems before but could Verizon have institued throttling when my connection came back on? Prior times I've had the connection go down, it's come back up with no effect on my torrent download times.

Wondering if any Verizon users here are experiencing the same problems.

Jared

I'm gonna try something else since i didn't have any problems last night. Gonna reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything and so on. Sometimes when I do that things return to normal. I know it's drastic but it's about time I've gotten it. and by the way that download speed is NORMAL for me. I live in a remote area some miles from the DSL provider.

You cannot download "my speed is usually around 150 kb/s " with that speedtest result. Unless you're talking about outside uT... 150KiB inside uT requires 1.5Mbit download speed, which you don't have. Reformatting and staring at the windows screen isn't fun. And you'll have to reinstall all of your software. Why don't you try tweaking settings first.

I just checked and it's not limited to bittorrent either - downloading normally using a web browser is down to 18 kb/s. My connection went down last night and came back up this morning. and since then internet access has generally been very very slow. I think the ISP my family and I use has broken something, or they've messed up with our service. My parents are the ones who bought the service after all, i saw my mother on the phone at the computer this morning so I believe she was calling Verizon about the problems we are having.

Going to wait and see what happens, we might end up switching providers if Verizon cannot fix our problems.

Understand the problem between our communication is UNITS .. speedtests and ISPs list your connection in Kbps... programs, windows, etc use KiBps. Notice the b vs. B. There are 8 bits in 1 Byte so thats why i'm saying you WILL NOT reach 100KiBps with a 176Kbps speed, k?

Heh, yea if they f00ked up you may even get a refund for the remaining portion of your time (barring some loophole they gave themselves in your original contract). Do you have any other questions?

Archived