I/O device error downloading to external Hard drive?

ryuken3k

If you're unsure about the external drive, run a chkdsk /r on it.

The "I/O device" mentioned in the error clearly indicates a problem with the drive, not the torrent.

As DWK noted above, the drive letter might have changed if you disconnected and then reconnected it. Best thing to do if that's the case is to go to Start / Run / Diskmgmt.msc, right-click the external drive and change it's drive letter back to what it was earlier. Then force-recheck the torrent and continue.

Ok, let me spell it out for you. Go to Explorer. Look at the external drive connected to your PC. It should be listed like My External Drive (X: ), right? Now it'll not be X: in the brackets (usually), but something like D:, E: etc.

So when I said in the Cmd window type Chkdsk X: /R, replace X: with the letter you saw in the step above. Can't make it simpler, sorry. :|

P.S. It will take time. Go do something else and let it finish!

Dude, I knew what you were trying to explain a while ago about the whole "X" thing. Its just that I kept getting the "access denied" BS. I got that message because I went to the Properties/Tools section by right clicking my external hard drive and disk checking from there, but now I can disk check from the cmd window.

Thanks for your help though! If many others were as patient and respectful like you, the world would be a better place.

Archived