anyway to reduce hard disk's work?

Kan5478

Simply get another cheap drive. Doesn't even have to be new. I got a 80GB SATA of ebay for 47.82 (could of gotten lower but I fell for a crappy bid war). About 43% fitness, 100% performance. I use it for downloads (BT/IRC and other big dl's) and page file. If it goes, who cares, just loose unsaved downloads. Leaves the stress of my system drive and others. I'd downloading near constantly too. It's worth the consideration.

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

that would be nice and dandy but a) you got to have torrents downloading that will fit the RAM and damn few people have that much and B) if you should reboot computer, then utorrent might have problems even if the RAM HD will have the recover option, you would have to wait for it to finish before starting uT and even then I am not sure how it would take to it, I have 2GB RAM and mostly it is not utilized

you could use that RAM drive just for small torrents but I am not sure you can specify two different download locations (to direct small size torrents to RAM drive and rest to your normal HD but I think your HD gets exercised same way whether you are downloading to it many small torrents or one big??

I am intrigued by the idea of not too big older HD being used for downloading, I suppose it doesn't matter if it is not especially fast drive or does it make difference?

vanDivX

I found I could set the cache size big and tell it not to drop old pieces from the cache and it would work pretty good. The hard disk would still be accessed, but only about 1/2 to 1/4 as much as without it. The closer the cache size is to the torrent size, the less the hdd gets accessed.

The only difference between that and a ram drive is the cache takes a WHILE to fill up even if set to only 50 MB, because it doesn't read extra -- it only reads on demand.

• 1 year later...

Currently I have the following settings and it SEEMS that utorrent is actually making use of the disk cache! I have it set to use 200 MB and it is actually for the first time slowly creeping towards that number (at 83MB currently). Finally using more than 20 MB RAM!!

Here are my settings: (Running 1.7.2)

diskio.flush_files is set to FALSE

diskio.sparse_files is set to TRUE

Everything else you should leave at default in the advanced page.

Then open up the plus sign and click on disk cache.

Check override disk cache, and set it to whatever you can handle (200MB here).

Uncheck reduce memory usage if not needed.

Check enable caching of writes and reads, but uncheck the sub options of each one EXCEPT for increase automatic size while thrashing.

Using these settings I have gone from not being able to get utorrent to use more than 20MB of memory to now approaching 100MB just in the time it took to write this post!

Hope this works for others and let me know!

Archived