Download Speed Works OK until i try to seed at the same time

protocol77

hi for the last two days i have been trying to figure this out i download a torrent with plenty of seeds off a private tracker and i get my usual speeds which is pretty much max for my current connection (i get capped after a monthly limit) i am with bigpond so when i get capped i am connecting at 64k or around 7-8kb/s down and about 4-5kb/s upspeed and this has been fine until the other day when i have been trying to download it has been going at 7kb/s but when i put a torrent on to seed to build up my ratio it will connect at the 4-5kb/s but when it does my download speed drops to 3-4kb/s and won't got really any higher than that but once i stop the upload it slowly creeps up a bit this has never happened before i used to be able to seed and download and they wouldn't interfere with each other i have tried all sorts of things re-installing utorrent installing other bt clients like azureus tried different versions higher and lower of both disabled firewalls and peer guardian changed ports scanned for spyware turned off and disconnected modem and left it for a while before starting computer back up and reconnecting it and other things and i just can't figure it out if someone has or has had a similar problem i am curious to see if you have come up with any ideas here is some general info:

ISP: Bigpond Cable

Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB5101

Windows/other firewalls: disabled

Peer guardian: disabled

Port Currently using: 44444

Utorrent Version 1.6.1 - Build 490 (tried 1.7.5 & 1.7.6)

Max Connections Per Torrent : 50

Global Connections: 70

No. Torrents Running 1-downloading, 2 seeding

Max Up Speed 5kb/s

Protocol Encryption: Enabled (Allow Incoming Connections Box Ticked)

net_max_halfopen: 50 (was 8 by default changed it after applying sp2 patch to increase connections from windows default)

... downloading INcreases your upload amount due to overhead. If indeed you are stuck to a slow plan equivalent to dialup, looking at the recommended settings for xx/96 and BELOW will show you speeds you can expect. Thank you for the general info. It is recommended to get and stay with 1.7.6 from now on however. All previous builds are subject to a remote-crash related to ClientIDs (no compromise, but an inconvenience to be sure).

If you get low speeds, which it sounds like, you NEED to change this back to default:

net_max_halfopen: 50

...or even as low as 4!

Try playing around with these numbers to see if speeds increase any going as high as 300 or as low as 5:

Max Connections Per Torrent : 50

Global Connections: 70

This is my recipe, use it as an example:

Connections limit is aprox 90~100 for the router, anything more than that the router will LOCK UP, and will require a button reset in the router box, even if it doesn't lock up webpages will go real slow, and even worse for secure web pages

Firefox is more susceptible to this than IE, since FireFox uses average 20 connections

So in utorrent i set Max Global to 70, giving me about 20+ free room to spare for regular web browsing and gaming.

then i set the rest for 10 (peer per torrent) and 10 (slots per torrent)

and then for Queueing 7 active torrent, and 5 download

meaning 70 / 7 = 10 so each torrent gets 10 peer/seed and 10 slots 1 for each of those peer/seed

and on the Queue side it means out of 7 working torrents 5 are for download, 2 are for upload

if you change the 5 to a 3 then you'll have 3 downloads (leeching) and 4 uploads (seeding)

by the way if you leave the above settings both Unlimited for download /upload speed, then the connection usually reaches 5Mbits download and 2.5 Mbits upload (and this is Mbits, not Mbytes)

so set the Global speed accordingly to match your ISP connection.

I'm on a 10Mbit so speed itself doesn't affect me at all, the router was my problem.

Thanks for your attempt to help AllGamer but unfortunately those numbers aren't very translateable below 1 Mbit up... xx/96 can't even sustain 10 slots. Well I guess it "CAN" but you really don't want to have your connection split so many ways. Generally speaking more upload speed per peer means less upload slots means faster downloads for you. This of course depends upon the swarm but I routinely tweak the upload slots to see how it affects me and have found that I can obtain a 60-80KiBps jump in speed when I go between 5-10KiBps upload per peer (TOTAL UPLOAD / (torrents * upload slots) >= 10KiBps).

Archived