port forwarding help

crazyhorse6

hi,

i use a WRT54GS linksys router, and have two computers on the network. ive changed my firmware version to hyperWRT thibor, as recommended by the FAQ. ive also tried to portforward, but it doesnt seem to work. question one: do i only have to change my internet configuration settings on my laptop (the computer i am using to download torrents, and have utorrent downloaded on) or BOTH computers? --ive read that i have to have a static ip address to be able to forward ports. i dont know if i did that correctly. i read and followed the instructions on portforward.com on both forwarding ports and making a static ip address. nothing seems to work though. ANY suggestions or answers would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks very much.

please excuse me, because i really dont know much about this stuff. what i do know, is that my internet connection is POINT TO POINT, and that the ac power plug for my connection says MOTOROLA on it. i THINK the only firewall im using is the windows firewall that came with my computer, unless NORTON antivirus also has one.

thanks very much.

hi,

the model number on the motorola power plug is SADB-1129.

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System Idle Process 0 88.45

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a 3.81 Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4 0.76

smss.exe 408

csrss.exe 536

wininit.exe 584

services.exe 628 0.76

svchost.exe 832

WmiPrvSE.exe 3712

unsecapp.exe 3908 Sink to receive asynchronous callbacks for WMI client application Microsoft Corporation

FlashUtil9b.exe 3612 Adobe Flash Player Helper 9.0 r28 Adobe Systems, Inc.

svchost.exe 888

svchost.exe 928

svchost.exe 1032

audiodg.exe 1204

svchost.exe 1064

dwm.exe 1844 2.29 Desktop Window Manager Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1120

taskeng.exe 1732 Task Scheduler Engine Microsoft Corporation

taskeng.exe 2564

SLsvc.exe 1236

svchost.exe 1280

svchost.exe 1448

spoolsv.exe 1700

CCSVCHST.EXE 1792

svchost.exe 2024

mDNSResponder.exe 1608

CLCapSvc.exe 984

LSSrvc.exe 1100

svchost.exe 2064

svchost.exe 2128

SearchIndexer.exe 2156

XAudio.exe 2280

hpqwmiex.exe 2304

CLSched.exe 2480

wmpnetwk.exe 3316

AluSchedulerSvc.exe 3004

HPHC_Service.exe 420

symlcsvc.exe 3568

infocard.exe 2904

lsass.exe 640

lsm.exe 648

csrss.exe 596

winlogon.exe 748

explorer.exe 1916 0.76 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

MSASCui.exe 2916 Windows Defender User Interface Microsoft Corporation

SynTPEnh.exe 2924 1.52 Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements Synaptics, Inc.

QPService.exe 2936 HP QuickPlay Resident Program CyberLink Corp.

QLBCTRL.exe 2964 QLB Controller Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe 3184 GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc.

wmpnscfg.exe 3216 Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application Microsoft Corporation

procexp.exe 1528 2.29 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

rundll32.exe 3160 Windows host process (Rundll32) Microsoft Corporation

CCSVCHST.EXE 3228 Symantec Service Framework Symantec Corporation

ieuser.exe 3652 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

iexplore.exe 2444 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

--i dont know if i did the above properly, let me know, and ill try again if neccessary.

thanks very much!

Mm. I was just about to throw the Motorola aside as a non-issue, but a bit of Googling shows that it's a "Motorola Canopy Power Supply," which then indicates that you're using a wireless connection (your IP's reverse DNS supports that -- kos.net). So um, if you're using a wireless connection, there isn't much you can do about port forwarding, since the service providers don't provide their users with real WAN IP addresses.

They're controlling the ports. If you want, you can try calling them up to see what they can do about it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if I were you.

ok, i will. thanks. i DID try downloading while having my internet connection plugged directly into my computer, as opposed to going through the router, but there was no difference. could you possibly tell me what i have to do to reset my utorrent settings back to default? because it was working a little better before i started changing things. as it is now, its not really working at all.

thanks very much.

ok. i just thought id ask. ultima doesnt seem to mind helping me out firon. as ive told him, i dont really understand computers, and need all the help i can get.

ok, did the appdata deally, deleted settings.dat.old, but there is no "settings.dat" file in there. there is a file however, that simply says "settings" should i delete that also?

thanks.

If you have not changed the default option of "hide extensions for known filetypes".. which I'd guess you don't your only indication of the 4 dat files are ... "settings DAT file" "resume DAT file" "dht DAT file" and "rss DAT file" (separation shows the distinction between filename and filetype fields... where the extension isn't shown, but the description gives something akin to the extension of the file). If you are removing existing settings yep you want to remove BOTH files which start with SETTINGS (dat file and .dat.old)

Archived