Weird Download Rates

evw2k

During the daytime, like up until midnight, I will only be able to dl at 30kb/s, but from about midnight to 2 or 3 am the dl rate will be like 200-500kb/s. Does anyone know why this is happening? my settings aren't restricting the dl rate and I don't share the internet between computers. Is there a way to maintain such great rates? I can upload some pics of my settings if necessary. Also, the torrents have nothing to do with it, it happens on all torrents.

<3 torrero thanks. evw2k, you should read about BitTorrent (Guides page link #2), the primer gives a good lowdown. Your ISP may be interfering with your torrent traffic. That is why in the How-To and Setup-Guide (link #3) there are sample known working torrent swarms listed. They will ensure 1) that your forwarding is correct to allow you to have incoming connections and 2) that you have no limits or tell you what downloading limits you have due to ISP interference/shaping/mangling.

also it's possible that it's a mere coincidence that the peers/seeds you are connecting to are only available during those times of the days.

You'll notice this the most when you download some really old dying torrents.

when you can precisely track who logs in and who logs out of their machine at certain times of the day.

i define "dying torrents" to all the torrents with less than 5 peers and seeds combined total.

Archived