Just updated to 1.7.6 and have a problem

nozlehed

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@cjc_nrc: Kurahashi-san would be happy to help... related post (hint look in the signature). Long story short, it's a units comparison (dissonant units too I might add, but 8b=1B) :D

As stated elsewhere before with connection issues it behooves the troubleshooter to start at one end of the problem and continue to the other end proceeding logically and methodically at each step. I find it easiest to start at the ISP's end since I know my computer and feel I will get to the source of the problem before I reach myself at the other end. Using this methodology with a setup similar to the following : ISP -> modem -> router -> computers one can follow along, starting with their ISP.

[ul][li]Has anything changed recently?[/li][li]Have they made announcements for "network management" or more overtly said they discourage filesharing by applying shaping profiles?[/li][/ul]

Moving on from there, one usually finds the ISP's P.O.P. (point of presence) at the customer's location with a modem.

[ul][li]Verify the modem does not also function as a router. [/li][li]Make sure the ISP hasn't reset or remotely-reconfigured the modem to alter previously client-set preferences.[/li][li] Usual IPs for modems fall within the reserved Private IP ranges. A common one for Class C is 192.168.100.1. [/li][li]If the modem ALSO functions as a router, one can try or investigate setting it to "bridge mode".[/li][li]Otherwise, if there is no router between the ISP and the computers you can use the Default Gateway IP (discussed below).[/li][li]Note that if you have a modem+router and router SEPARATELY as two devices, ONE device should be set to bridge mode to make forwarding through double-NAT easier (OTHERWISE, you'll have to forward each device separately setting the first device to forward to the second's IP, and the second device's IP needs to be setup to whichever destination computer will be using the rules).

To forward your ports for uT (or any application for that matter) is pretty simply, but you need the correct following information. [ul][li]Make note of your PORT from the uT Speed Guide (Ctrl-G), and your current LAN IP Address. This works much better if you have already followed the Setup Guide's instructions on making your current IP static and outside the DHCP range (If you haven't you can find the IP out from Start->Run->cmd /k ipconfig /all). [/li][li]Essentially you are looking for the "Port Forwarding" OR "Virtual Server" sections of your router configuration.[/li][li]You want to put your specified PORT into the fields for "inbound port" and "outbound port" (if it exists), and enter your LAN IP Address as the Destination.[/li][/ul]

From there you can move onto analyzing your computer (happy happy joy joy). This can be the most difficult step due to ALL SORTS of buggers on your system stopping you or interfering with your ability to have a properly operating internet. NOTE:[ul][li]This is why when in doubt, the dedicated support staff ask for your HiJackThis logs and Process Explorer DLL lists.[/li][li]These logs are a relatively easy and painless way to get your system setup (without asking for specifics) to look for problem programs or previously reported Incompatible Software.[/li][li]To make sure your programs are setup correctly if they worked previously, remove old per-program rules for the old uTorrent version, and re-add new rules for the new version.[/li][li]If that still doesn't work, remove the offending programs.[/li][li]If/When the problems go away it means that SOMETHING about that program doesn't want to play nicely with µTorrent.[/li][li]As such, feel free as a concerned user to point it out to their development/support team, advising them of steps you have already taken (and including a link to forum posts here can't hurt)... and see if they can find it themselves.[/li][li] Asking "what do you need" is something developers can appreciate as it shows you care about solving the problem as much as they want to solve the problem and can only help the process.[/li][/ul]

@chocolatte12: <rant>If it comes down to diagnosing the specific problem relating to Vista I can offer no support. I have resisted upgrading to Vista since MICROSOFT pulled out the main "meat" of the OS they were offering. It shipped late and with UAC without implementing 1/2 of the features available in earlier builds. Contrarily, sure it implements DirectX 10, but there's very very little out for it specifically (right now anyway). I have played a game called World in Conflict which implements DirectX 10 and scales down VERY WELL (presumably due to DX10) from Vista 2.4 dualcore w/ 4 GB RAM to XPSP2 1.8 GHz with 1.5 GB RAM. The two main selling points for Vista are ReadyBoost (no practical functionality since on-load doesn't help you when the program runs) and Aero (a repackaged "overhaul" of the Luna changes seen in the transition from Windows 2000 to Windows XP).</rant>

Edit: BBCode ftw. Vista rant moved to butt.

@jewelisheaven - thanks for the info. I will comment on some of the items your posted. As for the suggested troubleshooting steps, will try some that later as I am now at my office :)

regarding my vista OS, even if I want it to be xp, i dont have any choice.. because I bought my laptop bundled with vista already. :(

quoted above "Has anything changed recently? Have they made announcements for "network management" or more overtly said they discourage filesharing by applying shaping profiles?"

comment: No. I tried downloading from our office (same ISP by the way) and had no problems. I am using the older version here in the office not the upgraded one.

quoted above "To forward your ports for uT (or any application for that matter) is pretty simply, but you need the correct information."

comment: As much as possible, I wouldnt want to tweak our router as it is owned and configured by our ISP. Moreover, I am currently in Japan and the configurations might all be in Japanese (and if that breaks, another hard and painful explanation of the problem). another thing, I dont want to tweak the router just because of my torrent problem. :( I am using the router with 2 other friends.. I am afraid that they might encounter a sudden problem once I tweaked on something.. which is scary as well.

What I will do for now is to try to review again the set-up guide and see if I missed out something. But I think this will not give me a fruitful result..

Hello all

I am also having problems since installing uT 1.7.6. In my case the issue appeared to be a problem with UPnP, as uT was not successful in opening a random port. Firewall was turned off, so that should not have been the issue. Needless to say, the earlier version of uT was able to open ports on my router using UPnP quite happily.

It may be of interest that I then installed BitTorrent 6.0.1, and it works just fine, and presumably it uses an earlier uT core.

hi. i'm pissed.

i updated utorrent 2 days before and i can't open web pages, my torrents don't start and my soulseek doesn't work at all. i checked on some websites and all my ports are closed.

i didn't have this problem before.

i can see here many people with same problem, no solution. what is happening. i install a program with trust and now my computer is fucked.

any moderator reading this, PLEASE HELP!

i installed 1.8 alpha, and it works only with one torrent dowloading. the biggest problem i have is the web browser, why i can't open sites all the time. some times i can some times i can't

i have xp, and i am on a isp provider in italy, they didn't restrict anything. updating utorrent 1.7.6 screwed my computer for sure. it closed all my ports for some reason. can't use soulseek now! my web browsers (both mozilla and ie) don't respond.

any advice?

Hi -

Same thing is happening to me and a few friends -- since upgrading to 1.7.6, our Internet connection goes up and down. Here's what I think..

First - Its obvious something's up. I love this program and appreciate the time and effort that the programmers put into this. But the sooner they realize there's something up, the better. Its not a coincidence that everyone is all of a sudden having Internet problems with 1.7.6.

Second - I noticed that some of my preferences-options were reset in 1.7.6. DHT (which can get you banned on some torrent sites) was turned on and I turned it off. Do that first thing whenever you upgrade.

Third - I deleted and manually added the firewall settings. I use xp's firewall.

That UTorrent reset my DHT settings means that maybe other settings were changed during the upgrade - maybe that's what it was.

The update *did* mess something up and the sooner we agree on that, the better! :)

Internet throttling is something outside uTorrent's control. It is usually caused because of the number of concurrent connections (i.e. I can't run > 100 or I get throttled... if it happens too often my ISP's automated countermeasures put me on Private NAT for an hour, which isn't fun let me tell you) overloads the ISPs decision of what is "acceptable" on your line and enacts their countermeasures. DHT and LPD exascerbate it. That's why the settings for limited presence mode are post #2 on the How-To.

Yes, that's right. I think what's confusing us is the previous upgrades didn't do this. Since I deleted and re-added the firewall stuff (and disconnected and reconnected to the Net), my connection is fine. I hope this does it.

But its definitely good advice for people to check all of these things - dht settings and firewall - when upgrading.. Thanks!

hi woodstockfan,

can you please tell me exactly what you did?

how did you delete and re-add the firewall stuff and everything?

please 'cos my problem persists and i think you solved it and it's the same with all of us.

and please, jewelisheaven ... the update messed my computer up! and i am not the only one.

hi. i'm pissed.

i updated utorrent 2 days before and i can't open web pages, my torrents don't start and my soulseek doesn't work at all. i checked on some websites and all my ports are closed.

i didn't have this problem before.

i can see here many people with same problem, no solution. what is happening. i install a program with trust and now my computer is fucked.

any moderator reading this, PLEASE HELP!

i installed 1.8 alpha, and it works only with one torrent dowloading. the biggest problem i have is the web browser, why i can't open sites all the time. some times i can some times i can't

i have xp, and i am on a isp provider in italy, they didn't restrict anything. updating utorrent 1.7.6 screwed my computer for sure. it closed all my ports for some reason. can't use soulseek now! my web browsers (both mozilla and ie) don't respond.

any advice?

what's your net.max_halfopen set to?

I updated to 1.7.6 on Saturday evening and ever since I cannot download. I had 2 files that hadnt finished downloading and now the seeds and peers are showing as 0(138) 0(78) on one of them and 0(0) 0(273) on the other. I didnt do anything but run the exe file as shown.

I have been using uTorrent for over a year now and have never had a problem. Its just since Saturday since the new download. I removed and put back utorrent on my firewall but still the same problem. Id really appreciate any help.

Glad to help. I'm not a techie but have a background in it for better or worse.. ;)

My connection is working some 8 hours now since I fixed the problem and it looks good.

Here's how I fixed my UTorrent:

1. Go to the UTorrent Options/Preferences/Bittorrent and make sure DHT is off ("not enabled") in both cases. I also got rid of local peer discovery.

Many torrent sites don't like DHT and will ban you for it. But this isn't what slowed the connection I think..

2. Go to Control Panel and open Windows Firewall. Click on Exceptions. Delete the UTorrent one. Then under the same Exceptions tab, click Add Program and add UTorrent.

Then I clicked on Add Port and added the port UTorrent uses just to make sure. I'm sure the others here will say its unneccesary. You can skip this if you want.

3. Now that you've added UTorrent to Windows Firewalls' exceptions, stop your torrents and disconnect to the Internet.

Reconnect and the new settings should take place.

I hope this helps others!

I tried this and it didn't work for me. I'm using 1.7.5 (trying to go back because of all the problems with 1.7.6).

I had already started this thread: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=299691#p299691 when I found this one.

For me it's simple, as soon as I start one torrent, none of my other applications get internet. When I stop the torrent, it takes 3-4 minutes before I get internet in my other apps. I think utorrent is taking up all the connections, I see them with netstat -a. Then after 3-4 minutes they time out.

I will add that it's only the internet that stops. My local LAN works and I can also access my router. It's just the internet that doesn't work and I don't have a proxy. Very strange!

Archived