Why does it crash?!

nutt7

I did a little searching and I cant find out why utorrent keeps crashing on my XP. Here is what I have (bear with me, I am not super computer smart) : acer laptop 1.5gig processor 512mb RAM with The Shield firewall and antivirus, utorrent v. 1.7.6. My roommate uses utorrent and his works fine, and we are on the same router.

What hapens is when my torrent download speed starts climbing up to around 80mb/s (after about 3-5 minutes), it crashes and I get the "virtual memory minimum too low" warning. The virtual memory is set to a minimum of 744mb or so and a max of 1.48gig or so (and windows has control to change it if necessary).

The real problem I dont understand is when I watch the task manager, the cpu usage is normal, and the "PF" usage is about 256mb or so. When utorrent crashes, the PF usage jumps to 2.5gig and the computer gets real slow. Also, the available physical memory gets real low. When I finally shut down utorrent, everything goes back to normal. I have no clue what to try next. oh and I also tried disabling the firewall and closing other applications and it didnt help.

any help is greatly appreciated,

eric

uninstalled firewall, utorrent has been running for about an hour at speeds totalling 250kbs...seems to have fixed it!

thanks firon...do you know a firewall that works? My roommate said not to worry about a firewall...what do you think?

eric

Archived