1.7.6 not allowing downloads.

mikotian

This is probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to solve it.

I DL'ed version 1.7.6 today, and now I cannot download any torrents. I have no error messages, and can connect to the tracker. However, I cannot connect to peers and have 0 DL and 0 UL speed.

After some messing around, I determined that something in my Norton Anti Virus is interfering with UTorrent.

If I disable my Norton, I am able to download new torrents. However, my half way completed torrents are still frozen.

Thus, how do I create some sort of an exception in Norton to fix this? I don't want to uninstall Norton because I paid for a year of their service and don't want to waste my money.

Thanks in advance.

Ok Thanks, I fixed my problem.

I went into Norton's firewall settings and changed the rules for UT from "always block" to "always permit".

So, I have another dumb question to ask you guys :)

Does changing the settings to "always permit" leave me completely vulnerable to anything malicious in a torrent I try to download? Or will Norton still catch any worms/trojans/whatever?

... If I understand the function correctly it has no impact on your AV's ability to detect and quarantine bad stuff you download. All you changed was the problem with your firewalling blocking traffic (i.e. killing your torrenting experience) to allowing traffic (i.e. WORKS fine), heh. ;) Btw, if you're worried about what you're downloading, why are you doing it :P

Archived