Size of utorrent through past versions.

freecitizen

Hi all,

I don't know if this has been discussed before. utorrent started off as under 100KB when it was released under various guises of 1.1. Then it went a little over the 100KB mark under version 1.2. From thereon it grew progressively until 154KB at version 1.5. The big jump in size was 574KB at 1.6. Supposedly the last version before Bittorrent took over. Then it went down again to 218KB for the current 1.7 version. What is the story here? What will it be for V1.8?

177,251 utorrent-1.6.1-beta-build-483.exe

177,152 utorrent-1.6.1_b490.exe

174,163 utorrent-1.6_b474.exe

203,776 utorrent-1.7-beta-1065.exe

219,952 utorrent-1.7-rc6_b3341.exe

224,048 utorrent-1.7.0_b3351.exe

224,000 utorrent-1.7.1_b3360.exe

218,624 utorrent-1.7.2_b3458.exe

219,952 utorrent-1.7.3_b4470.exe

219,952 utorrent-1.7.4_b4482.exe

219,952 utorrent-1.7.5.exe

254,256 utorrent-1.8-alpha-7237.upx.exe

84,480 utorrent111.exe

91,136 utorrent113.exe

92,672 utorrent114.exe

96,256 utorrent115.exe

98,304 utorrent116.exe

99,840 utorrent117.exe

107,520 utorrent120.exe

110,080 utorrent121.exe

109,568 utorrent122.exe

117,248 utorrent130.exe

133,120 utorrent140.exe

158,147 utorrent150.exe

Did you want the md5's too?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I never knew uT was also released with installer version. I got my info from olderversion.com and oldapps.com. I see that jewelisheaven have kept a meticulous record since the begining. It would be good if some versions not archived at those two sites mentioned be uploaded.

I see some of the threads being referred here mention the intention to use alternative compilers for better reliability. Doing so will cost the program to bloat by about 100KB. Considering that some of the popular clients are in excess of 1MB, 100K increase seems like an acceptable overhead if better reliability could be had without loosing too much efficiency. Of course memory footprint is still important but most users would put emphasis on speed as the primary reason for using a particular client. I wonder, beside being a simple client, will adding more features into its engine speed up the client or slows it down?

For example, uT even reports the port number of a peer uses. Is this an essential feature? What advantage to speed does such a feature offer? As a peer, I wouldn't like the www to know what port I am opening for torrent traffic. It could invite hackers or anti P2P camps to wreck havoc with my system through that port. Then there is the RSS Downloader. I never use it. How much of an overhead does this feature hogs on the program? I would prefer having a lean program that does what it is suppose to do and do it well. Another thing that annoys me is that every time I select to delete both data + torrent; only the data is deleted but the torrent file remain undeleted.

This may look like a lot of gripe on something that is given away free. But it would be a pity to ignore criticism if they are constructive towards improving a great freeware (I hope it continues to be free). Keep up the good work guys.

TBQH I had put in SEVERAL requests to oldapps now that you mention it. the 500K "utorrent 1.6" they offer is the installer for build 474 (1.6). I've asked them again to .. relabel it "1.6 installer"

... You must report the PORT you use to the tracker at least, how else do you connect to peers? If you want (it's old by comparison now) here's my uT usage from December http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=289574#p289574 (I have 4201 at last count).

Regarding deleting torrent+data... you're looking in the wrong folder. Delete torrent deletes from uT's torrent storage (self-contained which is either the local directory of the .EXE or %APPDATA%\uTorrent.

jewelisheaven, thank you for the explanation. I didn't know we were suppose to save the torrent files in the local directory of the program. I believe I am doing what most torrent users would do. That is, save torrent files in folders created for that category of files to be downloaded. If uT can work with torrent files wherever they are located why, can't the same files be deleted through uT? I find this to be a strange anomaly. Anyway, it is great that you are correcting things at oldapps.com. Don't leave out olderversion.com. BTW, what in your opinion is the most reliable version of uT to date? 1.7.x prior to 1.7.6 wasn't so great was it?

Firon, I am unfamiliar with what netsats or wireshark can do. Of course I understand the need to make known the port number reserved for the program to use but why publish it for the www to see? Anti P2P hackers may use any kind of protocol analyzers they like but including lines of codes into uT that contributes nothing towards performance seems counterproductive to me.

NO, no no. That's not what I said. When you LOAD torrents into uT, in order for uT to find it each startup, it needs to store it SOMEWHERE. That "somewhere" is the two locations mentioned, unless you override it. The ONLY torrent file touched is the one in the torrent storage folder when you use the remove button/menu item. Reliability? I've only had uhm... 4 crashes in my 15 months of using uT. I've been running a variant of 1.8 since the pre-beta became public on November 13. I used 1.7.5, before that 1.7.2, before that 1.6.

... without advertising your port SOMEWHERE you don't get any performance. You sit there waiting for connections which will never come because noone knows you're there.

Okay, I am trying to understand this a little better. You mean to say that when we add a torrent file into uT from somewhere, a copy of that torrent file is made and saved in its designated torrent storage folder (I don't even know how to change this setting). I have found where all these copies are. They are in the Application Data folder as you mentioned. But the old torrent files are still there even in that 'storage' folder despite been given explicit command from uT to be deleted along with the data file. This is even worse than I thought. When I was using BitComet, both the data and torrent file are gone when I choose to delete them. This looks like one of those cases where the program does not exit properly but in this case, the torrent file is just removed from the client list, not deleted.

when you tell uT to delete the torrent file (right click on remove icon to see the current option -- It will be bold) it will be deleted. Default is to simply remove, not remove from the list and remove torrent, Perhaps thats why "old" torrents are still there. This is covered in the µManual. You can either remove, remove and delete data, remove and delete torent, or remove delete data and torrent.

That problem may exist with 1.6.1, I don't know. I'm currently trying to elucidate some alternate limit questions at the moment, but I'd bet either 1) it is broken or 2) it's still deleting the torrent which was created when you added the torrent. Note that torrents which have identical names begin to add numbers postfixed to the name (2nd time you add MY FILE, it will be MY_FILE.1.torrent)... Verify this isn't happening before continuing please :)

You are right. I noticed numbers appended to torrent files I have removed from the client and added back again. But I did not initially save the torrent files in the program folder. It would be unusual for me to save files in a hidden folder. It would be great if uT could delete the original torrent file no matter where it is saved. Just like BitComet does. Thanks for the explanation BTW. You are pretty handy to have around.

Archived