uTorrent seems GREAT! But, why is it so similar to GPL open source...

Cor'eCor'e

I love uTorrent because it is exactly like Azureus Classic (w/o Vuze) and has the Scheduling features exactly like Shareaza, but Azureus & Shareaza are GPL OPEN SOURCE and uTorrent says it is not OPEN SOURCE(!), so i'm confused because it looks like the exact same code is being used from my user point of view... Anyone know what's up?

Good Gosh,

your 1st link just says: "Ludvig Strigeus (ludde) is the original author and former maintainer of µTorrent. BitTorrent Inc's developers are the current maintainers of µTorrent."

and your 2nd link refers to the whole darn uT FAQ!! Of which it says one line in about 10,000 lines: "Is µTorrent open source? No. It is not likely to become open source ever."

How do you support your assertion that "... Looks can be deceiving, especially so in this case."? What's deceiving is your assertion. Have you cared to run the two other P2P examples i put forth and really see anything but minor differences? They're pretty much exactly the same, i was wondering why?

If uT is so cutting edge and wonderfully unique, why would major open source programmers (Shareaza/Azureus Vuze) show no creativity of their own and copy uT exact or so much so? If anyone looks where i'm pointing they'll see clear as a bright day that uT is a simpler version of Azureus Classic, with the same scheduler as Shareaza or vice versa.

I don't have a problem with liking that uT combo, it just struck me kinda odd if two are open source and the third says it is not... quite odd. =)

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=251

The Win32 API provided by Microsoft allows developers to create Windows applications with standard Windows controls. µTorrent has always been coded independently from other BitTorrent clients. ludde may have taken design cues from other clients, but other clients have taken design cues from other clients (µTorrent included) as well.

Archived