BitComet is evil (useless posts split off)

genedale

Given that alot of hackers and online identity thieves these days reside in foreign countries, given that the Chinese government continues to spy on the U.S. (the latest example less than a month ago on the Pentagon), given that this Bitcomet software was produced by a Chinese programmer according to Dark Shroud, and given that there are security issues with this software, I'd stay away from Bitcomet because I'd be wondering who was peeking in on my computer. Even if Bitcomet claims good intentions, there are too many "givens" above for me to be comfortable with.

Your argument is that of a lemming, I'm sorry to say. Issues reported above have and have not been fixed. Those should be your reason for not using the software. Not because it's "chinese"... Sci-fi may be nerdy and hokey, but Joss Whedon said it right. The next "big thing" will involve whoever can get the might of the Chinese and Indian peoples behind them. You can't stop 1 billion people.

I'm sure the Lenovo executives said something similar about those computers to the State Department. Funny, but once the State Department realized the personal computer division of I.B.M. had been acquired by a Chinese company, they transfered those computers to non-sensitive areas. Call me paranoid, but I served enough years in the Army and seen enough espionage reports concerning the Chinese government to know that they aren't exactly our friends. But, it's your choice what you want to have on your computer.

It isn't exactly easy for the software to send reports about your data or the data itself back to HQ without people knowing, you know? Use Wireshark or something similar and you can easily capture and view the data packets and analyse them for yourself. In today's globalised world, there's no guarantee that all software is going to be written by programmers from 'friendly' countries. If you give in to such paranoia, then why trust Chinese programmers working for Microsoft on Windows, eh? I'm sure some Chinese might have contributed to Linux too. So they might well have put in some backdoors in your OS too, right?

I'd recommend that you give some solid proof to back up your FUD, or else be on your way. You're right about one thing though, it is our choice re. what we want to have on our PCs, and I choose to have the best software on it irrespective of the nationality of the programmer, provided it's proven to be safe. I'd actually say we have more to fear from the MAFIAA and other major lobbies up in Washington getting their way rather than from anything else at present.

Some of the comments being posted here is truely loathful. I am not a citizen of China but I wonder if the same would be said if BitComet is written by other than Chinese. Look at how bigots speak about how wrong it is to be spied on but it is okay for them to spy on others. A typical example would be that spy plane debacle off the China coast not too long ago. An attemp to eavesdrop on Chinese communicaitons ended up with an 'accidental' death of a Chinese pilot. Of course the great superpower can not apologies but had to admit wrongdoing by offering a statement of regret. What a fiasco that was and the whole world saw it. As far as I can see, there is nothing evil about the Chinese. They have had their tumultuous past but today they just basically want to do business. If Japan waged war with the US and today is trading with it why can't the Chinese? Moreover, The Chinese had never attacked the US. Perhaps the respondent need to look a little closer at his or her beloved USA. It is the only country today that has invaded and occupied foreign lands. It has coaxed friendly nations to go along with the adventure. But those allies have wise up and are pulling out. On the other hand, China in its 3000 years history has not invaded any foreign land. China consider US involvement in the Taiwan issue as an interference in their internal affairs. Even today, there are southeners who continue to fly the Confederate flag but the Chinese have never encouraged such secessional activities among US citizens. And does the respondent know that President Bush have signed into law, under the pretext of war against terrorism, most of US citizens Constitutional rights are thrown out? So, who is more evil?

freecitizen, OT aside, I agree that it is typical of people in the U.S.A. to let their ethnocentric view keep them from being generally reasoned and logical. Strictly speaking, what else would you expect from a nation bombarded with the "evils" of the world to keep the populace complacent and in a constant state of fear. I will state what I have said before, an opinion is like an anus, just because everyone has one doesn't mean you want to see other people's business.

I would ask no more defamatory remarks be made here against anyone/thing other than proof with evidence against BitComet, as Switeck said that's the point of this thread.

Archived