ridiculously slow speeds, problem with WRT54G

AdamB

I looked at all the posts regarding the WRT54G router. I forwarded the port and did the static IP (I think I did it correctly. When I do the "test if port is forwarded properly" in uTorrent, it says it is.) My speeds are very, very slow. I have been trying to download two DVDs for like a week now. They average speed for them is like 2 kB/s. They both have only 1 seed, and at least 2 peers that I'm not connecting to. I tried a different torrent, one with 3/4 seeds, and the top speed was 20 kB/s. I read the firmware information about my router, but I did not update it. I don't know what I'm doing, and don't want to ruin it. I don't know that it will even help. I have the "listen error" (red exclamation point) on the bottom of the window. PLEASE help if you can.

- upload limit: 35 kb/s

connections: 80

max active torrents: 3

upload slots: 4

connections (global): 230

max active downloads: 2

- operating system: windows XP

- Speed Test stuff:

Download: 1065 kb/s

Upload: 388 kb/s

Listening error means something else on your computer is using the same port as µTorrent. Select another port in Preferences > Connection (press the Random button if you're not sure what port to use) and forward that port from the router. Also, in the Speed Guide (Ctrl+G) in µTorrent, select xx/384k in the list. That's assuming you tested your speed properly. Properly means "Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection. When you select a testing mirror, use the ones that are geographically closest to you."

As for the slow speeds... After you finish configuring everything (port forwarding and all), tell us how a torrent from here runs.

I changed the port to a random one, and forwarded it... the listening error is no longer there. i did the test and the port is open. i used the 384k settings. i ran the first torrent from that site... within 2 minutes, I had a download speed of about 160 kB/s. I was connected to 32 seeds (out of 43), and 6 peers (out of 34).

If you're not having any internet disconnection issues, then I guess it's fine to leave it alone.

If you are having trouble with internet reliability while using µTorrent, then a firmware upgrade is the only way to fix it. It's fairly safe to upgrade your firmware, but in the case that something does go wrong (can happen, but usually rare, assuming you don't have a power outage or don't get disconnected from the router somehow -- like with wireless), you can check this.

Archived