All of a sudden getting I/O device error for both internal HDD

frost47

I have not had a problem with error messages until I just started a new torrent today and only got about 20 mb into the download and failed with I/O device error. I restarted my computer and resumed at it again gave me the error shortly after. I changed the torrent to download to my other internal HDD and again got the same error. I also tried it with a different torrent and got the same error. I ran check disk for the drives and they were fine. Everything seems fine with my computer so I would think its a software to hardware communication issue. I also updated to the latest 1.7.6 version of utorrent. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with this situation. Thanks.

They both have the drive letter they were assigned. They are the C and G drives which the download locations are just into a downloads folder within my documents. I should add that two torrents that have been uploading from the G drive location for a few days continue to do so without an error. The error appears in the status column. The only change to my computer that I can think of that has occured between successfully downloading a torrent 3 days ago and the error today was running the Ad-Aware program and removing any detected cookies/spyware which I did earlier today. Could that have removed some important component even though its never been an issue in the past.

ran chkdsk /r and it came back clean. I am able to move, copy, extract files basically able to do everything with the drive just cant get the bit torrent client to write to disk without getting that I/O device error. I even downloaded Azureus to check the torrent in another client and got the same error. What could have caused the error in writing the torrent data in both drives in such an instantaneous manner while leaving every other operation apparently unaffected. Im just not knowledgeable enough in this area to understand the operations involved in the torrent disk writing versus what is required for everything else.

Thanks for following up. The file format is NFTS. I tried a different folder last night with the same result. AVG anti virus and Peer Guardian are 2 apps that are always on. And heres the HJT log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 8:32:53 AM, on 1/22/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe

C:\Program Files\Gigabyte\ET5\GUI.exe

C:\Program Files\abit\abit uGuru\AirPaceWifi.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\tim\Desktop\utorrent.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\tim\My Documents\Downloads\executable files\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.7164\swg.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [skyTel] SkyTel.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JMB36X IDE Setup] C:\WINDOWS\JM\JMInsIDE.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [36X Raid Configurer] C:\WINDOWS\system32\JMRaidSetup.exe boot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EasyTuneV] C:\Program Files\Gigabyte\ET5\ETcall.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AirPaceWifi] "C:\Program Files\abit\abit uGuru\AirPaceWifi.exe" -nogui

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PeerGuardian] C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204

O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe

O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--

End of file - 5748 bytes

Archived