Sporadic Download speed - from 80 kbs to 0 and back up - Messed up net

andrewt4asu

So I live in a dormitory at a university. I know that my university doesn't block limewire/utorrent because the IT people catch kids very often with it. My problem is that I will have seeders and leechers and will download for periodic spats, only to stop and shut down the internet for a bit. so I will be downloading at 80kbs and then it will drop to 0, and then back up within 3 minutes. This goes beyond just utorrent. when the download speed drops to 0, all of my internet pages stop responding as well. for the most part, this sporadic internet thing tends to occur once I start Utorrent and lingers after i've shut it off. So even trying to play online games is impossible after i have loaded up and shut off utorrent, as my ping becomes erratic. I have to restart my computer to have efficient use of internet. Is there a way to fix this???? is this a configuration speed error or something? during christmas break, my utorrent ran well at my home, and I was able to set a strong speed guide setup. but my school's net prolly isnt as stable as my home network, which means my speed test setup is probably off. I really need help with this, I want this all to work.

More specifically, I get this message from all the websites.

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I mean just now, trying to submit this post, the server timed out 20 times. I had to click retry for about a minute before it went through. Then I had to wait another minute because the internet shorted again. this DOESNT happen at all BEFORE i run utorrent. but once i run it, EVEN IF ITS NOT RUNNING, the internet for my whole computer will suck until i restart...

Archived